We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Hi all,

Thanks for the great info on this forum.

We have two daughters, ages 9 and 14, and will be spending 3 days in Cannon Beach in mid-June.

The girls love to swim so we're hoping to stay somewhere with an indoor pool in case the weather is not great and we have to find fun things to do besides hiking and beachcombing. Now I'm stuck on which hotel to book! It looks like the Surf Sand is by far the nicest one, but it's also pretty pricey at $359/nt for an oceanfront suite. The best alternative w/an indoor pool seems to be the Hallmark resort, which has an oceanview 3rd floor 1BR suite for $209 or a non-view 1BR suite across the street for $159 (my husband likes that one due to price!!) When I look at the Hallmark online, it looks a little tired. Is the Surf Sand that much nicer? We would splurge if it's worth it.

One more question - is there an in-town indoor pool that the girls could swim in if we stay elsewhere? For example, the Ocean Lodge has a nice cabin for $251 that would suit us well, but there's no pool!! Does the town (or any of the hotels) offer an indoor pool that we can gain access to on a day pass?

Many thanks!!

Level Contributor
36,696 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

About 10 minutes away in Seaside, there is a very nice recreation center that has a great indoor pool, if you want a full aquatic center, complete with slide, wade pool, etc. Astoria Aquatic Center is great fun, about 30 minutes away from Cannon Beach, you can pay for day use here, it's wonderful! My daughter used the Seaside indoor pool every day one year during the summer when she was training for water polo. Have fun on the coast! :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,240 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Our family loves the Surfsand. We have stayed there numerous times, and yes, IMO, it is worth the cost. They have just finished huge renovations as well. I have not stayed at the Hallmark, but last summer we were with friends who had. She commented that the Surfsand beat it hands down. She said the Hallmark wasn't bad by any means, but just not near as nice, if that makes any sense, lol!

If I were staying in CB, I personally would not drive to a pool in Seaside.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,164 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

I would definitely stay at the SurfSand..call and see about specials though..

And I see no reason for Seaside or Astoria to be mentioned here..

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,227 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

I'm not too familiar with Cannon Beach hotels, but I do know the Tolovana Inn has an indoor pool :-)

http://www.tolovanainn.com/

I see this is your first post - do you know how to find the TripAdvisor reviews of hotels, etc.?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

I have to say, I would NEVER spend $359 a night at the Oregon Coast! Crazy, man!

Whenever I stay at the north coast, I stay at Gerhart by the Sea. Not going to give away my secrets, but I know someone with a 3 bedroom 2 bath condo there....full ocean view....at $109 a night! I think the rental pool goes for around $200 for the same type of unit.

There is an indoor pool there.....15 minute drive to Cannon Beach.

Not that I am defending anyone, but I think the reason that Seaside and Astoria were mentioned was that Carli3733 asked about public pools too. And again, I say, there are many of us who love Seaside...not just one non-local. ;-)

Del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I really appreciate any and all feedback.

To clarify a few things -

Yes, I now see why some of you feel it's better to stay in nearby towns rather than Cannon Beach, which is high on the quaintness scale, and is probably pricey because of it. I've looked into Seaside, Astoria and will now check out Gearhardt (sorry, might have gotten that name wrong, but I'll check it out).

I have spent most of the day scouring the internet about this, especially TripAdvisor, and I do see that the Hallmark has some pretty dismal reviews, which was one of the reasons I asked the question.

However, tonight I did a little more digging around and see that the reviews are broken out into two categories - the older rooms in the oceanfront building get consistently bad reviews, but the newer rooms in the non-view (and cheaper!) building (called Hallmark suites) across the street get good reviews. This building offers large suites with a separate queen bedroom, king bed in another alcove, living area and small kitchenette, which sounds perfect for traveling with our kids. They look nicer in the online photos than the older, more tired rooms in the main building. We don't care that much about being beachfront; we just want a clean, quiet, somewhat spacious room with access to an indoor pool.

I found that the Hallmark has a suite in the new building for $129 (web special) during the timeframe we'll be there, June 16-19, and it looks like this room normally costs somewhere in the $260 range. Unfortunately, the SurfSand cannot do any better than the $359 rate, which is supposedly the cheapest, even with our Triple A discount. So, by going with the Hallmark I'm at well over $600 in savings for the 3 days. I think (hope!) we'll be in a nice suite...not luxurious, but clean, quiet and nice. We're not the kind of family that will sacrifice everything just for a cheap rate, but I must admit that I just can't stand to overpay!

I don't know if I can beat the $129 rate, even by staying in another town. I checked the Holiday Inn Express in Astoria, which has rave reviews on this site (plus an indoor pool!), and even they were more than the Hallmark, with a rate of $149 for a room that was not nearly as big (non-suite with two beds).

We'll be sure to visit Seaside, Astoria and the other places mentioned, but I think we'll stay at the Hallmark unless I get scared off by anything all of you wonderful advisors tell me! Please let me know if I'm making a big mistake.

Many thanks, all!!

P.S. My next quest will be where to eat in the area...I think I'll save that one for tomorrow!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,227 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Cannon Beach is without a doubt *the* most expensive town on the Oregon coast. So if you can get decent, modern accommodations at $129 in the summer (!), with a kitchenette (!), and a pool (!), a block from the beach (!), I'd say go for it :-)

Ah yes, restaurants . . . that's always fun around here, lol!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,240 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Carli--Sounds like that room is a winner:) One of our local posters, mistletoe, was at CB this weekend, so I bet he can give you the most up to date information. Mo's is good with kids. Right on the water, cheap, almost a diner type atmosphere. Adjacent to the Surfsand is the Wayfarer which is very good, but also fine with kids. Very good food, even some lighter stuff which I like, and nice views right out to Haystack Rock. Ecola Seafood Market & Restaurant is great but there are no views. It is in the heart of downtown and is fine for a quick bite to eat there, or get stuff to do a picnic or to take back to your room.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,164 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

I will just second all of Mtngrls recommendations..she and mistletoe always told me where to go when we lived there anyway. lol

Gower Street Bistro is good too!

Level Contributor
36,696 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Lots of really yummy places to eat in the area, Bistro, Gower St. Bistro, Mo's, Newman's @ 988, JP's, are all good in Cannon Beach. In nearby Seaside, if you like Italian, the Taste of Tuscany is excellent. We also like Bigfoot in Seaside for the ribs, steaks, prime rib, etc. Norma's Ocean Diner has some great clam chowder in Seaside and there is the Pacific Way Bakery and Cafe in Gearhart that is not to miss. Have fun! :)