We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Hi all,

Thanks for the great info on this forum.

We have two daughters, ages 9 and 14, and will be spending 3 days in Cannon Beach in mid-June.

The girls love to swim so we're hoping to stay somewhere with an indoor pool in case the weather is not great and we have to find fun things to do besides hiking and beachcombing. Now I'm stuck on which hotel to book! It looks like the Surf Sand is by far the nicest one, but it's also pretty pricey at $359/nt for an oceanfront suite. The best alternative w/an indoor pool seems to be the Hallmark resort, which has an oceanview 3rd floor 1BR suite for $209 or a non-view 1BR suite across the street for $159 (my husband likes that one due to price!!) When I look at the Hallmark online, it looks a little tired. Is the Surf Sand that much nicer? We would splurge if it's worth it.

One more question - is there an in-town indoor pool that the girls could swim in if we stay elsewhere? For example, the Ocean Lodge has a nice cabin for $251 that would suit us well, but there's no pool!! Does the town (or any of the hotels) offer an indoor pool that we can gain access to on a day pass?

Many thanks!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
11. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Wonder what kind of room that is at the SurfSand for $359. We were in a 1-bedroom ocean front suite there this weekend for around $260. I like what they've done with the remodel/refurbish, which included the pool area, and adding a fitness room. But who chose that pea-green color???? ;-)

We've never stayed at the Hallmark, though I've always thought it looks nice from the outside. And that's a great rate for Cannon Beach (or Seaside and Astoria for that matter); jump on it. Not having been inside the place, my biggest knock on Hallmark is the flights of steps you have to take to the beach. Not a big deal, though.

For meals, your kids will like places like Ecola Seafood Market, Mo's, Fultano's Pizza, Wayfarer, Lumberyard.... all family friendly, as well as a few others you'll see. But there weren't any teens or pre-teens at Newman's, or even Gower St. Bistro this weekend. I suspect that would also be true at Bistro. And I wouldn't recommend JP's to any of you.

For something different, order in pizza for the kids, and you and your husband have a meal at EVOO, the kitchen shop/cooking school at the south end of downtown. We did their "Small Plates with Wine" meal and very much enjoyed it. "Small Plates" is a bit of a misnomer; we ended up with 3 entree-sized plates, followed by dessert. The chef there tries to present dishes you can recreate at home, but he's every bit as good or better than the best in town.

Del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
12. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Thanks for all the great suggestions on places to eat as well as the feedback on hotels. We greatly appreciate all the info, and I know these tips will add to our enjoyment of the trip in a few weeks. I'll report back on how it goes. Any more suggestions, feel free to keep 'em coming!

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
14 reviews
13. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

I want to jump in here and thank Syrahgirl for all her good advice on restaurants. We were in Disneyland last month, read some of her reviews and they were right on!! We also spend a week in Cannon Beach/Seaside every year and have followed her advice. Thanks a bunch. All the information we get on this site has been invaluable.

Level Contributor
39,069 posts
1,014 reviews
14. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

You're welcome, I'm glad I was helpful to you! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,473 posts
1,111 reviews
15. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

How did you like the Ship Inn, ok2wa?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,457 posts
119 reviews
16. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

That's great ok2a, are you planning a visit to Oregon?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
14 reviews
17. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Regarding the Ship Inn, we are always too anxious to get to Cannon Beach that we have never stopped in Astoria to eat. Are we missing something? We vacation at least once a year in Cannon Beach, usually in September after school starts.

Level Contributor
39,069 posts
1,014 reviews
18. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

The Ship Inn is a great place for the halibut fish and chips, they are located right on the Columbia River with gorgeous views. Kind of an old-school type place but we love it! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,473 posts
1,111 reviews
19. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Last I heard, syrahgirl, they had gone WAY downhill and the fish-n-chips were not nearly as good as they were in the "old days".

Have you been there recently?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
14 reviews
20. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Syrahgirl, maybe we will stop for lunch on our way home and give it a try. Thanks.