We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Hi all,

Thanks for the great info on this forum.

We have two daughters, ages 9 and 14, and will be spending 3 days in Cannon Beach in mid-June.

The girls love to swim so we're hoping to stay somewhere with an indoor pool in case the weather is not great and we have to find fun things to do besides hiking and beachcombing. Now I'm stuck on which hotel to book! It looks like the Surf Sand is by far the nicest one, but it's also pretty pricey at $359/nt for an oceanfront suite. The best alternative w/an indoor pool seems to be the Hallmark resort, which has an oceanview 3rd floor 1BR suite for $209 or a non-view 1BR suite across the street for $159 (my husband likes that one due to price!!) When I look at the Hallmark online, it looks a little tired. Is the Surf Sand that much nicer? We would splurge if it's worth it.

One more question - is there an in-town indoor pool that the girls could swim in if we stay elsewhere? For example, the Ocean Lodge has a nice cabin for $251 that would suit us well, but there's no pool!! Does the town (or any of the hotels) offer an indoor pool that we can gain access to on a day pass?

Many thanks!!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,445 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

" We vacation at least once a year in Cannon Beach, usually in September after school starts."

Lucky you!

Do you stay in a different place each time? I think that would be fun lol.

Personally, I don't see the point in going to Astoria for lunch, but that could just be me...I like the Coast/Ocean views so much better .. and the fantastic variety of Good restaurants.

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

We started out forty years or so ago at Tolovana (before kids). We then went to Seaside. The last 15 or so years we have been staying in Cannon Beach. Loved Surfsand, but since we no longer take advantage of the pool and spa couldn't see paying for them. Last couple of years we've been at Lands End because of the great location plus they accepts dogs. We drive to Seaside at least once and like to eat at Doogers, but most of the time the car sits in the parking lot. CB has so many great places to eat, we've never felt the needs to look elsewhere. We also like to take advantage of the kitchen at Lands End. It's pretty laid back now that the kids are grown. CB is one of our favorite places.

Del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

As a quick follow-up, I wanted to let readers know that we had a wonderful stay recently at the Hallmark! It was perfect for our family.

We stayed in Room 502 in the Hallmark suites building (not the main hotel but down the street a bit). I would highly recommend this building to other travelers. It seemed like a huge bargain to us at $129/night and had a separate bedroom w/a queen bed and then another room with a sleeping alcove in which there was a king bed, and an area with a couch, a table with four chairs and a small kitchenette. It was very roomy and spacious and our family of four never felt cramped. There were two TVs, so the kids got to watch what they wanted at night in the separate bedroom while my husband and I either read or watched something else on the TV in the living area.

The room also had a balcony and although we were across the street from the beach with another building in front of us, we had a great view of the ocean and the beach because the building in front of us was only one story tall. I'm glad we asked for a room on the top floor! There was no noise to speak of, and everything was clean, modern and very comfortable. I think the rooms in this building cost less because they are not "beachfront" but I'd rather stay in this building than in the main one, which seemed a little tired to me. There was also a separate indoor pool in the building, which worked out great and was never crowded.

All in all, it was a wonderful trip and the Hallmark suites were a great place to stay for 3 nights w/our family. Thanks, Trip Advisors, for your help!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,423 posts
1,108 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

How lovely - glad you had a great stay :-)

It would be wonderful if you could do a review of your hotel! It would help other travelers looking for reasonably priced lodging.

Del Mar, CA
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Half-Brit,

Yes, I will review the hotel on the reviews page today. Thanks for the reminder.

Also, I wanted to follow up quickly with info on the restaurants we ate at in Cannon Beach and Astoria (remember, we had two kids w/us, ages 9 and 14, so the restaurant choices might've been a little different had it just been hubby and me).

In Cannon Beach, we liked Ecola Seafood the best. They had delicious fish & chips, yummy chowder, great fresh crab and fabulous oysters. Another night, we had a good burger at Bill's Tavern...very good but not exceptional. The other night we had dinner at the Lumberyard, which someone at the hotel had raved about, but which we found very mediocre. The food was your basic stuff (chicken wings, Caesar salad, fish sandwich, and our daughter had mac & cheese). It tasted very generic and okay, but nothing exciting. We shared an order of onion rings, which were quite greasy and not all that good. The chicken wings my husband ordered tasted like they'd been re-heated instead of hot out of the oven or fryer. Anyway, it was fine, but nothing special at all. I'd go to Ecola in a heartbeat over the Lumberyard (or even to Bill's for another burger).

A place that looked great but didn't appeal to the kids was EVOO, which is a cooking school and cute bistro that had some yummy-sounding things on their menu. We probably should have checked it out for one dinner, but we didn't. We did try to get a res for their "farmer's market dinner", which is held on Tues nights (probably after they shop the Cannon Beach farmer's market, held that afternoon). We wandered in one day and they were very welcoming and obviously into serving creative dishes with super fresh ingredients.

Our favorite meal of the trip was in Astoria (what a cool little city that is!) at the Breakwater Bistro. They had a delicious pan-grilled (really sauteed lightly) oyster dish that I loved. They also served a great salad with fresh organic greens topped with a homemade fresh dressing that was just what I wanted after 2 or 3 days of eating burgers and such!

I will add these reviews on the other page but also wanted to let anyone reading this thread about our views of these places.

P.S. As long as I'm on the subject, I should also tell you that other highlights of the trip were a great hike in Ecola State Park (I think it's called the Indian Beach trail), crabbing at Jetty Fishery just past the town of Wheeler, about 20 miles south of Cannon Beach on 101, and horseback riding on Cannon beach.

We were a little wary of the horseback riding, but the guy who owns the Sea Ranch Stables has been there for a generation or two and owns a stable of sweet and wonderful horses. His guides were nice young women in their 20s who took us on a gorgeous trail out to the cove and onto the beach. It was $55 each, so we were hesitant to spend the money for the whole family to go, but were so glad we did. None of us are big time horseback riders, and they outfitted each of us with a perfect horse for each one, even our 9-year-old who was quite intimidated by the whole thing but ended up having a blast on a horse named Cinammon, who was mellow and perfect for her. It was a great experience and will be something we'll all remember forever.

Level Contributor
38,826 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Glad you enjoyed the Bridgewater Bistro, it's a great addition to the Astoria food scene, we have enjoyed a couple of great dinners there and appetizers by the fire when the weather was chilly. :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,445 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

Loved hearing about your stay, Carli !

The horseback riding especially :)

And of course the food.. lol.

28. Re: Hotels w/indoor pools - Surf Sand, Hallmark or...?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 00:16