We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas at Cannon Beach

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
13 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas at Cannon Beach

Wife and I are stuck 1,000s of miles from the family, so we decided to just get out of town for the Christmas weekend and head to the Oregon Coast. We've never been, have no idea what to expect, everyone says to do Cannon Beach.

So I'm looking for season-appropriate ideas -- we'll probably rent a house / condo so we can have a kichen, since I'm assuming most things will be closed X-mas day. But outside of that -- any can't miss restaurants? Things to do that will be open over the holidays? Recommended condos / locations to look in for our rental?

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas at Cannon Beach

lands end motel is right in the heart of cannon beach --- they have rooms that face the ocean -- and some have kitchenettes

for that christmas dinner you might want to check out stephanie inn - pretty certain that they will be serving up something special

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas at Cannon Beach

One of my favorite meals in Cannon Beach is the "Dinner Show" at EVOO, the small cooking school/kitchen store at the south end of downtown. The chef/owner might be the best in town, as well as being informative and entertaining: http://www.evoo.biz/ . EVOO isn't open Christmas Day, but is on the 26th & 27th.

Stephanie Inn is fine, but a bit formal and/or pretentious for some. Besides it, the Wayfarer at the SurfSand, and the Cannon Beach Cafe, off the lobby of the Cannon Beach Hotel should also be open. Wayfarer is the better of the two. I'd expect everything else will be closed on Christmas.

If it fits into the budget, look for a beachfront place on Ocean Avenue, from where it'll be an easy walk into town. You'll probably find availability on condos at the north end of town, which I think are nice. But there's a small river between that end of the beach and the downtown, so you'll want to drive rather than walk into town.

Nothing going on in the Coaster Theater, so there might not be much happening besides the usual shopping and sightseeing. But, Ecola State Park is beautiful regardless of the time of year.

Level Contributor
36,976 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas at Cannon Beach

We have had some very nice meals at The Stephanie Inn. Other favorites in Cannon Beach include Wayfarer, Bistro, Newman's @ 988 and Cranky Sue's. If you go about ten minutes to Seaside there is the Yummy Wine Bar, they have fantastic food and a nice selection of wines. Taste of Tuscany in Seaside is a nice Italain venue. If you like Japanese, check out Tora Sushi on Broadway. Enjoy your holiday at the coast! :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,384 posts
1,083 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas at Cannon Beach

I'm not sure the above poster (syrahgirl) has ever been to the northern Oregon coast at Christmas time?

If Cannon Beach is similar to the central coast, most of the larger hotels with restaurants will have them open. Most everything else will be closed. Sometimes for the entire weekend if it's a small place, sometimes only for Christmas Day.

When we first moved to the coast 20+ years ago, all restaurants were also closed on Christmas Eve, but now many are open until about 7 pm, but not late.

One thing to know if you plan to buy food, you'll want to stop in Seaside (Safeway on 101 - can't miss it) or even Astoria to hit the grocery store, depending upon which way you are driving. There is a Costco just south of Astoria right off 101. Cannon Beach has only one teeny market. Also, Cannon Beach has only one gas stationthat I know of; it is in the RV park across 101 and probably won't be open on Christmas.

Maple Valley...
Level Contributor
569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas at Cannon Beach

Plannergeek,

Check the Cannon Beach Chamber of Commerce website, they have a list of restaurants that are open on Christmas and Christmas Eve. We are in the same boat as you, all of our family and long time friends are back in Michigan, so we headed down to Cannon Beach for Xmas last year and are doing the same this year. We ate lunch at Cranky Sue's on Christmas last year, and really liked it, so we are doing Xmas dinner there this year. The Wayfarer was open for dinner last year, but they had a limited menu. We got turkey dinners to go (we had and will have our pooch with us), and they were okay, would have been better eaten there. Have a great trip!

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas at Cannon Beach

lougee's idea for Lands End Motel is a good one. Never been at Christmas, but stayed there 5 or 6 times. Our favorite room 25 is second floor, excellent view, recently redone bathroom, one bedroom, fireplace and a small kitchenette with oven, four burner stove, microwave, coffee maker, small frig. Has a small island which I use for food preparation. Nothing super fancy, but has alwaus been clean, managers nice and accommodating. Views and location to town (one block) can't be beat.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas at Cannon Beach

If you would consider activities in and also around Cannon Beach the Coast Weekend covers the North Oregon Coast pretty well though not a lot going on that weekend.

http://www.coastweekend.com/

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas at Cannon Beach

dont know if they still do it but at one time they had a daily lamplighting at the square -- there were folks singing carols and some of the storekeepers dressed in period costumes

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christmas at Cannon Beach

the coaster theatre usually puts on a holiday related show -- you might want to check that out

10. Re: Christmas at Cannon Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2010, 05:16