We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfsand VS. Sea Sprite on the Estuary

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
massachusetts
Level Contributor
233 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Surfsand VS. Sea Sprite on the Estuary

Hello,

We are visiting the Portland area in August for a family vacation (we're first-timers from New England). The experts in the Portland forum have been SO helpful to me in planning our trip so far.

But I just found this Cannon Beach forum -- so, here goes . . .

We are staying in Cannon Beach for 3 nights and have narrowed down our options to Surfsand Resort VS. Sea Sprite on the Estuary.

There is a lot out there on Surfsand so I know it's a great option. What about Sea Sprite on the Estuary? Any thoughts on which should I choose?

What if it comes down to a room with an ocean view (Sea Sprite) vs. one with a restricted view (Surfsand)? The pool at Surfsand may come in handy with the kids, though. Help, please.

Thanks so very much.

Thanks!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfsand VS. Sea Sprite on the Estuary

My two cents... Both places are very nice, but with kids that age, and your comments, I'd go for the pool. You'll be outside, weather willing, quite a bit, so the extent of view might be less important and kids might like to swim in the "off hours". As you know, the ocean is not warm enough for real swimming, as back East.

Edited: 13 March 2010, 22:28
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,799 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfsand VS. Sea Sprite on the Estuary

I would opt for the Surfsand. I have stayed there numerous times and we have never been disappointed. I have not stayed at the Sea Sprite, so can't really comment on the hotel except to say that I like the location of the Surfsand much better.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,791 posts
1,036 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfsand VS. Sea Sprite on the Estuary

I haven't stayed at either one, but is the Sea Sprite located on the north end of town? If it's the place I'm thinking of, it's out of what I call the congested (and to me, noisy) area of downtown. Ergo, that would be my pick, but then I don't have children who might want to swim in a warm pool!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfsand VS. Sea Sprite on the Estuary

Having, like Mtngrl, stayed with my family at Surfsand many times over the years, my first thought was, no brainer. Then I looked at the website for the Sea Sprite. Nice place (at least it appears to be). And with kids, it'd be nice to have that full kitchen. Still, I think I'd prefer the Surfsand's location, where you might feel comfortable sending kids out to play on the beach, without necessarily having to be out there with them yourself. And it's only a five-minute walk into town.

To half-Brit's comment, while the Sea Sprite is at the north end of downtown, it's still south of the little river that divides the beach north and south. Which means you'd still be using the same beach as most everyone else.

5. Re: Surfsand VS. Sea Sprite on the Estuary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2010, 06:17