We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Weekend weather

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Weekend weather

Our family is driving down to Cannon Beach from Vancouver Canada on Friday April 2nd for the Easter weekend. I understand that the weather forecast is for rain and we are totally prepared with raingear, boots, extra dry warm clothes, etc.

What I can't determine from any weather sites, is the type of rain. In Vancouver this time of year, rain is usually just drizzle, fairly constant but nonstop. I have also experienced rain in LA which was brief but torrential. So I am trying to figure out if we need the heavy duty gortex, the lightweight water resistant windbreakers, the cosy polar fleece layers, or all of the above. We are not afraid of rain but have experienced sideways deluges too many times to arrive unprepared. On the other hand, we also don't want to overpack.

We have two kids and have booked a place with an indoor pool just in case.

One other question...is the best nearby grocery shopping in Astoria?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,288 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Weekend weather

Hi Journey- You must be from the northwest if you are interested in knowing the 'type of rain' LOL! That is something I would ask :)

I would say that it would be more typical of Vancouver weather than LA rain- unless there is a big storm but you probably know what that is like as well.

There is a large Safeway in Seaside, right on Hwy 101 I believe.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Weekend weather

I'm about 3 hours south of Cannon Beach, on the coast, and today it rained all day. It poured down *hard* for about half the day, then settled into nonstop heavy drizzle the rest of the day, and is still doing that. I think it did stop for about 10 minutes once though . . .

Chances are you'll get just a "gentle" rain, not a blustery, sideways, miserable torrential downpour. Or hey, maybe you'll get "sunbreaks" :-)

McMinnville, Oregon
Level Contributor
112 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Weekend weather

Going south from Astoria to Cannon beach you will pass Fred Meyer- Costco- Safeway all are on hwy 101.

Level Contributor
34,748 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Weekend weather

There is also a nice Safeway in Astoria. If you want to pick up some things right in Cannon Beach, there is Mariner's Market, a small grocery store in downtown Cannon Beach. Hope you enjoy the coast! :)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Weekend weather

Thanks to everyone re the weather and grocery advise. We just returned from a lovely weekend at Cannon Beach. We packed everything waterproof that we owned and just rotated through our collection of dry clothes and footwear. We had rain, wind, hail and sun, sometimes all at once, but we spent lots of time on the beach enjoying the sand and the waves. We would love to return during the summer when the weather is better, but there is something very enjoyable about a blustery spring day by the ocean.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Weekend weather

"....there is something very enjoyable about a blustery spring day by the ocean."

Completely agree! Thanks for putting a smile on my face, Journeywizard.

7. Re: Easter Weekend weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2010, 05:16