We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I5 Traffic Best Time? - Driving home to BC from Oregon Coast

Langley City, Canada
Level Contributor
811 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
I5 Traffic Best Time? - Driving home to BC from Oregon Coast

We're spending a few days on the Oregon Coast and will be leaving Cannon Beach Thursday September 9th to head back on the I5 to BC.

I'm not too worried about the border crossing time on a Thursday, but would like to do my best to avoid being in any major traffic jam on the way home coming up through Seattle (or are there other really busy spots I should brace myself for?)

Is there often a span of time that it's not too bad getting through there... or when does rush hour begin and end? We're pretty flexible so could work things around to try and either hit that area before the worst traffic starts, or wait a while and go through later.

Any tips would be appreciated! I know we're going to love it there so just doing what we can to avoid finishing off a great trip in traffic!

Thanks!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I5 Traffic Best Time? - Driving home to BC from Oregon Coast

From my own experience driving through the greater Seattle area, if you can get through before 3:00 pm, it's better, as that seems to be when the traffic gets *really* bad. A few months ago when we had to be north of Seattle, we took 405 going north and 5 coming back south and both were rough pavement, congested and full of construction so we didn't see much difference between them.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I5 Traffic Best Time? - Driving home to BC from Oregon Coast

We make the drive to/from Seattle often. DH does it weekly. That said, most of the construction is south of Seattle right now, and the roads are fine. I-405 is clear. I-5 pavement is fine, but you may encounter a closed lane. The worst area is around Tacoma.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,507 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I5 Traffic Best Time? - Driving home to BC from Oregon Coast

Yes- try to get through most of Seattle by 3pm- if you can't just wait until about 7-8pm. As Mtngil says, they are doing alot of construction near Tacoma. Maybe Washington DOT has a phone number for real time traffic allerts?

Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
238 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I5 Traffic Best Time? - Driving home to BC from Oregon Coast

There is construction going on north of Olympia in the DuPont/Lakewood area after 7:00 p.m. This site will let you know what is going on.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic.

The other posters are correct. Get through Seattle before 3 pm. It can be a mess.

5. Re: I5 Traffic Best Time? - Driving home to BC from Oregon Coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2011, 07:17