We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Mid-October trip to Cannon Beach

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Mid-October trip to Cannon Beach

Just thought I'd write a few thoughts about our recent stay in Cannon Beach for anyone planning to visit. The weather, lucky us, was incredible! We had mostly sunshine and incredible sunsets.

We researched various places to stay with a dog and liked the idea of a house rental. We wanted to be close enough to walk to town and have a view. We ended up renting the Vista Cottage which was a little too rustic for my liking, but because of the weather and the incredible view from the deck, it ended up being okay.

Some restaurants are closed mid-week (not sure if it's just this time of year), but we found the food bar was set fairly low. Our favorite restaurants were EVOO (a wonderful dining experience) and the Irish Table (great food at reasonable prices). The others were visited were either just barely okay or just not good at all: The Wayfarer, Fultano's Pizza, Local Grill & Scoop. We also got fantastic scones at Waves of Grain.

Cannon Beach is a very dog friendly town which we appreciated. Some shops are okay with dogs coming and as well as a couple of restaurants in their outdoor areas.

I can't wait until next fall to go back!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
248 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Mid-October trip to Cannon Beach

Glad you enjoyed it. Sounds like it was a great time. I am hoping to get out to the coast sometime soon. Don't forget to take a couple of minutes to write up a review of the specific restaurants - people will see them there so it will help others in their planning.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,587 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Mid-October trip to Cannon Beach

I like Cannon Beach and that general area too.

Glad you had fun. Thanks for the TR.

min

Level Contributor
34,509 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Mid-October trip to Cannon Beach

We also had a very nice meal at Irish Table recently. Pizza a Feta is our favorite place for pizza in Cannon Beach, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to the Oregon Coast! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Mid-October trip to Cannon Beach

Another Cannon Beach convert, I see. ;-)

"....but we found the food bar was set fairly low." Did you have any meals in Seaside? ;-) I agree with your comment, though. Gems like EVOO and Irish Table are few and far between, which is why we look more for unique-and-fitting-to-the-area kinds of restaurants when we're at the coast. Pacific Way Bakery and Cafe in Gearhart is one where, while the food certainly isn't up to the standards of a Portland "foodie", the dining experience is as enjoyable as at many of Portland's best restaurants.

Thanks for reporting back. And, by the way, where in Cannon Beach is Vista Cottage?

Edited: 19 October 2010, 22:58
Olympia, Washington
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Mid-October trip to Cannon Beach

Yes, definitely a Cannon Beach convert! We did drive to Seaside and walked around looking for a lunch place. We steered away from the standard restaurants that lined the main drag. We were going to try the Sushi place (don't remember the name) on a corner, but after sitting at the bar for several minutes eyeing the fish that didn't look so fresh and not being greeted at all, we walked out. We happened on a small mexican restaurant (again don't remember the name, but it's on a corner and had a small outdoor seating area). This place was actually good, the ingredients seemed freshly made and all was tasty!

Haystack Vista is a rental through Haystack Lodgings. It's right on the main road heading south past mid-town the road starts to curve and just past a street named Pacific is the little house. It's not that noisy considering it's on the main road. Maybe it's the ocean that muffles the road noise, but we didn't really notice it much. It's very small, but has awesome views of Haystack rock and it's a short walk to the beach. The biggest issue for us was the very small and uncomfortable bed. Because the weather was so wonderful and we spent a great deal of time on the beach and the deck, it didn't matter so much.

Level Contributor
34,509 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Mid-October trip to Cannon Beach

The Mexican places was most likely The Stand! It's a great place, we also love Guadalajara Taco Shop right across the street. They have the best fish tacos in the area there! Another great Mexican place we loved was El Mariachi in Gearhart. It is a very nice, full service place with great food and very friendly, attentive service. :)

7. Re: Just back from Mid-October trip to Cannon Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2011, 05:16