We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great day trips from Cannon Beach

La Crosse, Wisconsin
2 posts
Save Topic
Great day trips from Cannon Beach

In June, after two days in Portland, we are planning a four day stay in Cannon Beach. What are some fabulous day trips around this area? We are two couples approaching our almost "retirement" status and pretty much like the "tried and true". All of us love scenery, moderate hiking trails and eating. We (the women) , enjoy unique shopping, wine and healthy restaurant offerings. They (the men) enjoy golfing, beer, and steak.

We would probably be willing to travel in a direction two-three hours to reach a "destination" and certainly would be willing to spend a day in the car seeing and experiencing what Oregon has to offer.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great day trips from Cannon Beach

Had you thought of splitting your time? IMO, between Cannon Beach and Newport. Then, you'd not have to drive round trips each day to see key sights. Such as:

Newport, OR

http://discovernewport.com/

www.aquarium.org

and...

Yachats/Cape Perpetua

fs.fed.us/r6/…

Sister lodgings, Fireside Motel and Overleaf Lodge, both are on this website:

http://www.firesidemotel.com/Fireside_Motel/

Unique shopping? You've got me there. :) Lots of coast type tourist shops, how about kite flying? Many galleries and, IMO, the following are worth visiting, not run of the mill kitsch:

Freed (www.freedgallery.com/), Lincoln City

Triad (Seal Rock/Windermere Real Estate Office)

Lawrence (http://www.lawrencegallery.net/), Salishan)

Earthworks (www.coastvisitor.com/home.cfm?dir_cat=70112), Yachats)

Hawk Creek, (http://hawkcreekgallery.com/) (Neskowin)

Edited: 10 February 2012, 03:04
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,492 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great day trips from Cannon Beach

I would highly recommend going North to Astoria and visiting downtown & shopping/restaurants, the maritime museum, Lewis & Clark HIstorical Parks. Not 2/3hours away, but definetly enough to fill a better part of a day. I think there is a golf course ini Gearhart...

oregon
Level Contributor
94 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great day trips from Cannon Beach

If you like to hike there is a very nice trail from Ecola State Park just north of Cannon Beach. It goes over the Tillamook head and you can hike all the way to Seaside if you like. Wonderful views.

web.oregon.com/hiking/tillamook_head.cfm

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great day trips from Cannon Beach

I'll add Fort Stevens State Park Historic Area, Oswald West State Park for a little light hiking/walking and some of the most gorgeous scenery you'll ever find, and the Three Capes Scenic Route, SW of Tillamook.

These are just a few of my personal favs in the general area.

Level Contributor
36,205 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great day trips from Cannon Beach

There are nice courses in Gearhart, Seaside and Manzanita. On Tues. You can play 18 holes for $10 at Highlands. Have fun! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great day trips from Cannon Beach

If you take Chinookgrrl's suggestion of Astoria (and I recommend you do), be sure to include Cape Disappointment State Park, outside of Ilwaco, WA, in that day's plans. Besides the two lighthouses, beaches, and Lewis & Clark Interpretive, panoramic ocean views are spectacular, including one of the Columbia River flowing into the Pacific.

The golf course in Gearhart has gotten a lot better since an ownership change several years ago. It'd be nicer if there were any ocean views though. I'm kinda surprised the guys aren't trying to talk you into staying more towards the southern Oregon coast, where they might fit in a couple rounds at Bandon Dunes.

Cannon Beach, Oregon
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Great day trips from Cannon Beach

Here's a post of must see attractions for a Cannon Beach visit: coastexplorermagazine.com/features/788-top-a…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great day trips from Cannon Beach

If the guys are avid golfers, I doubt very much they'd consider the Highlands or the Manzanita and Seaside courses "nice". All three are "executive" courses, and Seaside, especially, is poorly maintained.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great day trips from Cannon Beach

Strongly second thrumylens suggestion of Cape Disappointment State Park; you won't be disappointed (couldn't resist).

Cape Disappointment State Park

funbeach.com/local-attractions/…

The interpretive center for Cape Disappointment State Park

www.parks.wa.gov/interp/lewisandclarkcenter/

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Great day trips from Cannon Beach

One more thought..... which works better from Portland, but since you're willing to drive.....

An alternative to the golf course in Gearhart would be Pumpkin Ridge, about 75 minutes from Cannon Beach back towards Portland. I'm sure the guys would like the course. Tiger won one of his Junior Amateur Championships there years ago, and it's hosted the US Women's Open at least twice. The kicker with this idea, though, is that, while the guys are playing golf, the women could be off wine tasting.