We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best state parks for tide pools? Picnic?

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Best state parks for tide pools? Picnic?

We are here in CB for two more nights. We want to avoid crowds, and enjoy nature. Unfortunately, I cannot hike long distances, so that is somewhat limiting. I know there are several state parks nearby---any specific suggestions for great places to go to?

Thanks a million!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best state parks for tide pools? Picnic?

Not sure how far you are comfortable walking, but Hug Point has some tidepools plus history :-)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g51790-c151280/Cannon…

I bet it's pretty darn busy in Cannon Beach this weekend!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best state parks for tide pools? Picnic?

CB is not Coos Bay?? Near Coos Bay try Sunset Bay or Bastendorff Beach

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best state parks for tide pools? Picnic?

Yup, pretty busy!! Too busy for us! We went to Hug Point today--what a beautiful beach! Lots of fun exploring, and beautiful sea anemones in the tide pools--all colors--

Everything seems crowded for the holiday weekend---

The weather has been great! I thought you guys had cool weather and cloudiness and rain….LOL….

Level Contributor
34,757 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best state parks for tide pools? Picnic?

Have you been to Oswald West State Park? Take the trail back to Short Sands Beach. :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best state parks for tide pools? Picnic?

Glad you enjoyed Hug Point, lemstar :-)

I've lived on the Oregon coast for many years. The north and central coastal areas are very busy from about April through to the end of October. High summer is always very crowded. The north coast - particularly Cannon Beach and Seaside - is the *worst*!

The south coast has far fewer people as it's much farther away from dense population centers.

sarasota, florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best state parks for tide pools? Picnic?

I wish I had realized this a few months ago when I began planning….LOL….the crowds are killing us….I guess I didn't realize how much of a family destination these places are during the summer.

But oh, the beaches and caves and mountains and woods and paths and trails and rocks……amazing scenery……just breathtaking….and that's why we came….

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best state parks for tide pools? Picnic?

Lemstar--yes, these areas are huge draws for many people, especially with the warm streak we have been having. I saw two drivers get into a yelling match in Newport over a parking spot. We joked that the heat made them grumpy;) Seriously though, with it being a big holiday time and unusually warm weather more people than usual headed over to the coast.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best state parks for tide pools? Picnic?

July 4th is always - always - the busiest weekend of the year on the coast. Second is Labor Day and third is Memorial Day, but it often rains then ;-)

9. Re: Best state parks for tide pools? Picnic?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 06:18