We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caves on the Beach (and other things)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Caves on the Beach (and other things)

I had read that there are some beaches near Cannon Beach where you can explore caves at low tide. Sounds like something my kids would love. Can anyone give me some tips? We are going in early August for 6 days and like the idea of exploring away from the August crowds (yes that includes my family). Any other suggested day trips from our Cannon Beach base would be greatly appreciated (we also have a small dog joining us). Thanks!!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Caves on the Beach (and other things)

The only accessible cave I can think of in the Cannon Beach area is at the north end of Hug Point State Park, just a few miles south.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caves on the Beach (and other things)

Hug Point. There is a large cave farther south at Oceanside, but that is only accessible at *very* low tides, I believe.

>> Any other suggested day trips from our Cannon Beach base would be greatly appreciated <<

I bet the kids would like the logging museum at Camp 18. Astoria has lots of fun stuff to do:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g60806-Activitie…

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Caves on the Beach (and other things)

About 2 miles south of Haystack Rock there is a rock we call "A" rock. It has a tunnel all the way through the rock and at low tide has great tide pools to explore. On very low tides it is all the way out of the water, but the tides in early August won't be that low. They will be low enough that in the early morning there will be very good tide pool exploring there, but check the tide tables for your days, the PM low tides aren't very low, you'll want to get out there early for tide pool exploring.

4. Re: Caves on the Beach (and other things)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 05:17