We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which state park is better for hiking

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milwaukeee...
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which state park is better for hiking

One day on our eight day Oregon coast vacation, coming down from Astoria, we plan to stop in Cannon Beach for some lunch and then head to a state park for some hiking. We are recreational hikers (mom and dad in their 50s and 17 year old son), we like the easy to moderate hikes. I have heard a lot about the Cape Falcon hike in West Oswald State but originally had plans to hike at Ecola State Park. We have never been to the northwest before and like nature/beautiful scenery. I open this question up to the experts - if you had to choose one, which one which you choose? Thank you.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,006 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which state park is better for hiking

You won't be disappointed with either, but as I have said before, Cape Falcon is my favorite hike of all time!

Milwaukeee...
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which state park is better for hiking

Thank you - I think that's the one we'll pick!

kod
cherry hill
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which state park is better for hiking

We just got back and hiked at both state parks. Cape Falcon was the best hike but make sure you start from the parking lot on the east side of the highway not the smaller lot on the west that is specifically for the Cape Falcon hike. Start on the path to Short Sand Beach about a half mile to a picnic area just in front of the beach. (This route was recommended by the ranger as well as in Sullivan's hiking book as it is very pretty.) Then turn right and you will see a sign that points to Cape Falcon. You go up a bit and meet the Cape Falcon Trail where it comes up from the highway. and then you just proceed ahead and eventually come to a very clear side path to the main overlooks.There are good maps at the parking lot right next to the restrooms.

Milwaukeee...
Level Contributor
134 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which state park is better for hiking

We are very excited about our trip in two weeks and will definitely take your advice -

Thank you

5. Re: Which state park is better for hiking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 06:19