We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannon Beach or Portland

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rockville, MD
1 post
Save Topic
Cannon Beach or Portland

Hi Everyone,

I am flying into Portland OR on August 30, and will be back on September 2nd. Should I stay in Portland, and do a day trip to Cannon Beach? Or should I get a hotel in Cannon Beach, and spend a day in Portland? I hear there is a lot of fun things to do in Portland, but I am not sure about Cannon Beach, other than the beautiful scenery.

I am on a limited budget, and I love beautiful scenery!

Gresham, Oregon
Level Contributor
277 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cannon Beach or Portland

Labor Day weekend - good luck finding a place in Cannon Beach - plus you'll need at least a two day stay if you find a place.

I'd make it a day trip to the beach

Level Contributor
34,520 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cannon Beach or Portland

You may be able to find lodging for one night in nearby Saeside. What is your budget for lodging? :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cannon Beach or Portland

Think if I wanted scenery would go to Col R Gorge. Drive to Cannon Beach is ok but not what I call scenic. You really need to drive south from Cannon Beach to get some idea of the coast scenery. To me reason to go to Cannon Beach is the beach.. You can stay in Seaside and drive the short trip to CB if 2 nights is a problem

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,795 posts
1,037 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cannon Beach or Portland

Hi and welcome to the forums. I agree with phirl.

Labor Day weekend is the 2nd busiest weekend of the year on the Oregon coast. Traffic and lots - LOTS - of people everywhere. The gorge will also be busy but it covers a larger area so other than the most popular stops, you'll probably see fewer people!

There is a lot to do and see right in and around Portland, if you don't mind big cities :-)

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cannon Beach or Portland

We just stayed in Portland, OR (for 4 days) and did a day trip to Cannon Beach and I'd recommend doing the same. There was plenty of parking at the beach and lots of places to eat and shop. We packed a picnic lunch and ate/drank right on the beach since there seemed to be plenty of sand space, even with a lot of sunbathers and kiters. There are public restrooms about a block from the beach entrance and plenty of coffee houses and restaurants for a quick bathroom break too. Another reason I recommend staying in Portland is that you can then follow up your beach day with a trip into the Portland Farmers' Market, a day in the vineyards or a hike in the Columbia River, George which are all closer to Portland than to Cannon Beach. Have a great time - we surely did on our 4-day trip to Portland, OR.

philadelphia, pa
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cannon Beach or Portland

We just stayed in Portland, OR (for 4 days) and did a day trip to Cannon Beach and I'd recommend doing the same. There was plenty of parking at the beach and lots of places to eat and shop. We packed a picnic lunch and ate/drank right on the beach since there seemed to be plenty of sand space, even with a lot of sunbathers and kiters. There are public restrooms about a block from the beach entrance and plenty of coffee houses and restaurants for a quick bathroom break too. Another reason I recommend staying in Portland is that you can then follow up your beach day with a trip into the Portland Farmers' Market, a day in the vineyards or a hike in the Columbia River, George which are all closer to Portland than to Cannon Beach. Have a great time - we surely did on our 4-day trip to Portland, OR.

7. Re: Cannon Beach or Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2014, 05:16