We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Cannon - Looking for a yummy place to eat

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NC
Level Contributor
788 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Cannon - Looking for a yummy place to eat

We are just beginning to plan our Labor Day weekend trip - I realize it will be a slighty crowded time. We are running the Wine Country Half so we are going to be able to experience the beautiful Oregon wines at the Race - We'd also like to hit Portland for food, sites

(Farmers Market) & some nice Brews! Our friends say that Cannon Beach is a must do but I was also looking a Columbia River for some hiking. I can't come all the way to Oregon and miss eating

fresh seafood, coffee, wine or beer - so who has the best? We are real seafood eaters so we like it fresh and not smothered, fried up or sauced up (hidden). Nothing fancy, just good clean food. Any suggestions, advice, etc would be so welcomed as we have never ventured to Oregon!! :)

Level Contributor
34,203 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Cannon - Looking for a yummy place to eat

Ecola Seafood in Cannon Beach has some good seafood, it is a very casual venue. If you want a casual meal with pretty views, Mo's has good seafood. I really like the way they prepare their Blackened Salmon there. If you like a thicker clam chowder, Mo's does this well also.

If you go to to nearby Seaside, there is a wine bar there called Yummy's. They have awesome food and a fantastic selection of wines. It is a casual ambiance with very friendly service. Enjoy your time at the coast! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Cannon - Looking for a yummy place to eat

Cannon Beach is probably the most "upscale" town on the Oregon coast, but curiously, it's gone downhill in terms of quality dining options over the last 20 years (IMO, anyway). I like Ecola Seafood, but have always thought of it as Cannon Beach's version of fast food, except that it's not very fast. The best thing Mo's has going for it is its view, but otherwise it has the feel of an over-sized coastal diner. It's part of a small, Oregon coast restaurant chain that's been around for a long time, and very popular with families. It will be jammed to the gills over Labor Day weekend. So if it's lunch you're looking for, I'd probably point you to the Wayfarer. There are several better options for dinner, depending some on what day you'll be there.

With your mention of the Columbia River gorge, I don't know if that helps or answers your question. But I can say without reservation that you'll have no trouble finding quality restaurants in Portland, and almost all of the them have seafood on the menu.

Level Contributor
34,203 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Cannon - Looking for a yummy place to eat

Harborside down by the waterfront in Portland has a really good variety of fresh seafood. :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Cannon - Looking for a yummy place to eat

>>We are real seafood eaters so we like it fresh <<

Be aware that just because a restaurant is located on the coast (or in Oregon), it may or may not serve really "fresh" seafood. We've learned from living many years on the coast that some restaurants buy their seafood straight off the Sysco truck. Since it's important to you, ask them where they get it :-)

You sound as if you are trying to decide between Cannon Beach and the gorge? Don't have time for both?

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,521 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Cannon - Looking for a yummy place to eat

My lingering memory of Mo's is the smell of the deep-fat fryer. Deep fried everything.

Sumner, Washington
Level Contributor
962 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Cannon - Looking for a yummy place to eat

I still like the Wayfarer its by hay stack & a fun place after a walk on the beach. Big bowl of chowder, mac & crab are good, see menus on line. They will take reservations Will be a busy weekend but Cannon Beach is always fun

Level Contributor
34,203 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Cannon - Looking for a yummy place to eat

Wayfarer is one of the few restaurants on the Oregon Coast that is listed on opentable. They have recently remodeled also. :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,143 posts
392 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Cannon - Looking for a yummy place to eat

Our son has scoured the globe for a better Oyster Burger than the one at Bill's Tavern to no avail. Oysters lightly coated and perfectly cooked. They do an Oyster entree as well.

From my many decades of travelling up and down the Oregon Coast, I can think of no place worse to eat than Mo's.

Agreed the Wayfarer would be an excellent choice, book ahead.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 21:56
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Cannon - Looking for a yummy place to eat

Hey Dave, like the new avatar ;-)

Mo's is good for the views at several of them, the background story and the company is a dedicated supportor of the local communities. Food? Eh, not so much in my experience. But then I haven't gone in any Mo's for about 10 years!

And it is of course, one of those dreaded "chains", LOL.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,957 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Cannon - Looking for a yummy place to eat

Agree with Hal-Brit on Mo's -- haven't eaten at any of them in a few years because the food had really gone downhill since the mid-80's. And yes, Bill's Tavern does an outrageously good burger. Pretty tasty fish-n-chips, too!