We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st timers--must see, eat, and do?

Which Cannon Beach hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
402 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
1st timers--must see, eat, and do?

A group of us are heading to Cannon Beach for a girls' week at the end of June. It will be our first time in the region.

We are looking for recommendations for things that should be on our "must see, must do, must eat" list.

We are up for anything, really, and want to make the most of the area while we are there.

We are interested in doing some (easy to moderate) hiking, seeing lots of gorgeous things, taking beautiful photos, and eating wonderful, local food.

There are 4 of us. We are all 30-32. We are staying in a rental home near the beach. And we will have a car.

Looking forward to your suggestions!

Thanks in advance.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st timers--must see, eat, and do?

Cannon Beach is a great place for a girls trip, IME:)

Ecola State Park is on the north edge of town and is a must, IMO. You can drive to the far end at Indian Beach and then hike on trails from there. Plus be sure to go down to the beach and walk as far as you can, it is really interesting, I think.

In town there is the obvious Haystack Rock. Low tide is a great time to explore it and to see all the sea life. There are often docents there to explain what you are seeing. We like to rent the 3 wheel recumbent bikes at low tide and ride along the beach. The rental place is adjacent to the Cannon Beach Hotel, near the Surfsand. They are a lot of fun to ride!

As for where to eat, there are a lot of good options. Our usual places are the Lazy Susan for breakfast, Wayfarer for breakfast or dinner (or a good happy hour), and Bill's Tavern for fish n chips and seafood stew. I am sure others will chime in with their favorites as well.

The main part of town is easily walkable, so depending on where your rental home is, you can probably walk everywhere and not need the car except for at Ecola or if you venture out of town.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st timers--must see, eat, and do?

Adding to Mtngrl's comments, heading south from Cannon Beach you'll pass Hug Point State Park, which, especially at low tide, is worth visit. There's an old roadway cut into the rocky point (north from the parking lot) that takes your mind back a century or so... A few miles farther south is Oswald West, a large state park with several trails. Most popular are the few short ones into Short Sands Beach, which itself is worth a visit, but others are good too. Another few miles further south is the small town of Manzanita, which is also kind of fun to poke around in. And between there and Cannon Beach there are some spectacular views, just from the road.

I think a "Dinner Show" at EVOO would make for a great evening for your group. http://evoo.biz/show-schedule We've been a few times on our own, but my wife has also been with a couple of her friends, and I'm sure she'd agree.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
402 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st timers--must see, eat, and do?

Thanks for these great suggestions!!

Level Contributor
34,525 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st timers--must see, eat, and do?

I think your group would really enjoy Castaway's Tini Tiki Hut. Have fun! :).

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st timers--must see, eat, and do?

You're welcome:) Hope you have a great trip.

Level Contributor
34,525 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st timers--must see, eat, and do?

How was your time in Cannon Beach? We had a really fun lunch at Mo's on Thursday with my son and his family. Their remodel turned out very nice and the food quality has improved a lot. :).

7. Re: 1st timers--must see, eat, and do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2015, 05:16