We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
O'fallon, MO
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Family adventures

Hello!! Our Oregon vacation is in 2 short weeks! We are renting a beach house there in Cannon Beach. We can't wait to hike and explore this beautiful area. My 3 boys...ages 13,11, and 7...will be with us. Any excursions you can recommend? We will have a car and don't mind driving. Especially curious about zip lining, ATV rentals, and rafting. We will only be in Cannon Beach 4 nights.

Any advice you may offer is greatly appreciated! We have never been to Oregon, and can't wait!

Thank you!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family adventures

I believe there is a zipline in Warrenton, not far from Seaside. I have no idea on ATV unless you mean heading south around Florence to do the dunes? I have no idea about rafting in the area, but syrahgirl can probably help you with kayaking. There is plenty of hiking in the area, whether at Ecola State Park and beyond, or something like Saddle Mountain which is about 13 miles east of Cannon Beach off of hwy 26 and has fantastic views from the top. In Cannon Beach, go to Mike's and rent fun cycles. The shop is near the Surfsand Resort, and the bikes are the 3 wheel recumbent style and are great fun to ride on the beach at low tide. That is always a must for our family:) Don't forget about the usual kite flying too!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family adventures

You could drive to Newport for a day; much to see and to do. Fair warning, traffic will probably force a slower drive than indicated on Google Maps (2.5 hours, plus several stops such as the Tillamook Cheese factory) but, given your kids' ages, IMO, well worth it. See what's en route, below.

Seaside should be fun, honky-tonk kinda town, main street action drawing all ages.

Kites were mentioned, so I'll add, consider buying Stunt Kites, the two handled kind, that are lots of fun on wide open beaches.

Pop into the state parks along 101; all are lovely, often with different features, including Ecola, Arcadia, Hug Point, Oswald West. Well worth having a cooler and bringing beverages and sandwiches for picnics.

Oregon Coast tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1438848-i12636-k6…

Newport, OR http://discovernewport.com/

Yaquina Head Outstanding Natural Area blm.gov/or/…index.php

Edited: 29 June 2014, 15:43
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family adventures

Besides the bikes and kites - check out Once Upon A Breeze - skim boards would also be a hit. There are a couple places in town to rent them. If they're still allowing it, the kids would also get a kick out of flying balsa wood airplanes from the top of the Astoria Column. Planes would be available for purchase on site.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Family adventures

BWillis,

you can see if the Ft. Stevens/Battery Russel is to your likings. The Peter Iredale (shipwreck) is still there but fading.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,116 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family adventures

There are some smallish dunes near Pacific City, and you can rent ATVs to go out on them. It's approximately 1½ hours south of Cannon Beach. These are not the huge dunes that are south of Florence but that would be an all day trip. Click on the blue link for info:

http://sandlaketsunamiatvrental.com/

I have been to the zipline place in Warrenton, just south of Astoria. It was raining that day (every day that week) so we didn't go 'zipping', LOL They are not far from Costco. Here is the info for them:

http://sandlaketsunamiatvrental.com/

Remember to save time to just have fun on the many beaches in the area! At Hug Point, you can combine beach fun with a mini-history lesson :-)

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g51790-c151280/Cannon…

O'fallon, MO
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Family adventures

Thank you all soooo much!! Very helpful.

Level Contributor
36,321 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family adventures

Check out Fort Clatsop in Astoria. Your boys should enjoy this. Have fun! :).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,116 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family adventures

You're welcome! Have a great time!

9. Re: Family adventures

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 05:17