We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite

Which Coos Bay hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite

We will be driving from Yosemite to an area close to Coos Bay. From maps it looks like this will be a very long 11 hour drive so we are wanting to break it up and camp somewhere along the way. We were looking at Whiskeytown-Shasta Trinity as a possibility. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. We want to drive up and back to San Fran a different route to see the most of the area. We are trying to decide if there is enough hiking and things to see to stay in the Coos Bay, Shore Acres, Cape Arago area to warrant 2 nights. We were originally planning to drive over to Crater Lake one of the days while we stay in Coos Bay area, but have been told the weather may be difficult and roads could be closed. Thanks for any feedback in advance.

20 replies to this topic
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite

I would give Shasta a miss and go on a little farther to Jedediah Smith State Park just inland from the California/Oregon Border. This little park is an absolute gem, but don't know how tight reservations are for camping. There are tons of places to Wilderness Camp anyway, so it won't be a problem.

I recommend seeing this park as opposed to coming up I5 then going straight across to Coos Bay. Brookings, Oregon just a mile over the border has a wonderful Saturday market and is a great town for tourism. The Oregon Coast above Coos Bay should not be missed. Between Yachats and Florence the nicest coast anywhere in the USA. Highway 101

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite

I would give Shasta a miss and go on a little farther to Jedediah Smith State Park just inland from the California/Oregon Border. This little park is an absolute gem, but don't know how tight reservations are for camping. There are tons of places to Wilderness Camp anyway, so it won't be a problem.

I recommend seeing this park as opposed to coming up I5 then going straight across to Coos Bay. Brookings, Oregon just a mile over the border has a wonderful Saturday market and is a great town for tourism. The Oregon Coast above Coos Bay should not be missed. Between Yachats and Florence the nicest coast anywhere in the USA. Highway 101

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite

Tim, Thank you so much! This is exactly the information we were looking for! Just to clarify, we should or should not come up through I5?

Athens, Georgia
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite

From Yosemite, Jedediah State Park is almost an 11 hour drive. That's a long drive to have to get there and still set up camp. Any other suggestions that may be half way? We could still cut through this park on our second half of the drive.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,875 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite

Third try from my"smart phone"--

Castle Crags SP is right off the I-5. May not be ideal, but is conveniently located.

LA
Level Contributor
9,715 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite

I find your choice of Coos Bay / Cape Arago to be an oddly specific destination given your limited time frame and time of year.

Although this is a scenic area, once again you are running into a changeable weather season. The winter precipitation / storms start in about Halloween time along the Pacific Coast and northern California and Sierras region. This can mean driving in the rain, camping in the rain, hiking in the rain. It might not rain, but you need to think about wheather doing all this in cool, cloudy, dull overcast, or drizzly weather will suit what you are looking for.

I'm not disparaging the beauty of the Oregon coastline, but there are many very beautiful areas along the northern California coastline, the Sierras, and elsewhere that would be as nice, with far less driving.

Can you help us out with how many nights you have for this entire trip, whether you are committed to a round trip to/from San Francisco (as opposed to other airports) and what it is you really want to do. And what you don't want to do. I see you don't seem to plan any time in San Francisco, for example

Edited: 14 August 2014, 05:49
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,888 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite

Hello Keri S and welcome to TripAdvisor. Even reading some of your other posts, I'm having trouble getting the 'big picture' about your trip.

Why are you heading to the Coos Bay area? Although Cape Arago is scenic and Shore Acres is interesting enough, the Coos Bay/North Bend area in general is one of the less scenic areas of the Oregon coast. It's also one of the most busy.

I'm getting the impression that you don't have a lot of time?

How many nights do you have for your trip?

Are you starting and ending in SF?

Are you planning on visiting the redwoods at all?

You do not say when your trip is, but I gather from post #6 that your trip is late in October? Winter starts along the Oregon coast roughly mid October (I've lived here many years) and that's when it starts raining. Tent camping is not so much fun in the rain ... or were you going to rent a motorhome?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,875 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite

Without really understanding the itinerary (or purpose behind it) I get the sense that the OP wants to go up to Coos Bay (or wherever for whatever) one way and return to SF another way. I suspect he is picking Whiskeytown off a map because it sounds fascinating, not for any more substantial reason. His best bet would be to head up I-5 to Roseburg, take the 138/38 to Reedsport and turn south to the Coos Bay area. Then it's a straight shot back to SF down the Oregon Coast and through the Redwoods.

As half-Brit noted, it could be quite wet in October and I never thought camping in the rain was very pleasurable. Hopefully, the OP has a budget for contingencies like indoor lodging and plumbing.

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite

Highway 42 connects Coos Bay, Coquille, and Myrtle Point to the Winston/Dillard/Roseburg area. To take the 138/38 route through Reedsport, a driver coming from the South would need to drive all the way THROUGH and beyond Roseburg to the little town of Sutherlin. Not sure why a traveler on tightly budgeted time would necessarily want to take the extra miles just to see the dying community of Reedsport.

-Case

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,875 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite

I guess it's just my preference for the beautiful drive along the Umpqua River and the chance to stop at the Dean Creek Elk Viewing area. Also, although it might involve more miles I'm not sure the actual time difference on the two routes would be that significant. But to each his own.

Also....perhaps, I missed it, but I don't think Keri S said they'd be on "tightly budgeted time." They didn't want to drive 11 hours in a day, but never said how much time they had for the entire trip...a fact that would certainly affect our recommendations.

Reply to: Driving to Coos Bay from Yosemite
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted