We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nov. 3, too early for whales?

texas
Level Contributor
67 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Nov. 3, too early for whales?

We'll be in Depoe Bay the weekend of Nov. 3-5. Is it too early for whale watching?

Jan

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,038 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nov. 3, too early for whales?

For most of the coast, yes. For Depoe Bay, no. California Grey Whale migration usually begins towards the end of November into the beginning of December, but there is a resident pod of whales that have made Deope Bay their home. This is one of the reasons Oregon State Parks opened a whale watch center there.

Den

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nov. 3, too early for whales?

Den Thanks for posting that. We go to Depoe Bay regularly but have never marked when we see whales, seems to be almost anytime of year. we see them maybe every third visit, and they are very close to shore

However I talked with whale watcher there once and he said Depoe Bay pod migrates. I said I did not think so, but he was insistant.

I know we have seen them in Aug and Jan

Phil

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
896 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nov. 3, too early for whales?

We saw the whales during our trip in September/October this year.

We went three times to Depoe Bay, but only saw them on our first visit, but they were also visible at Yaquina Head - at the lighthouse -and they were closer to shore.

4. Re: Nov. 3, too early for whales?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 11:18
Get answers to your questions about Depoe Bay