We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report on my trip to Eugene

Tucson, AZ
Level Contributor
187 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Report on my trip to Eugene

Thanks for the camping and restaurant input, everyone!

I met my best friend at the Portland Airport and we rented a car and drove to Eugene to visit my brother. We arrived on a Saturday evening at the beginning of August and set out to purchase "supplies." Luckily, I had the list of all Oregon liquor stores and I'd mapquested all of them from the apartment. :) On our way there, we witnessed a terrible bike accident -- a young kid rode right into traffic and (of course) got hit. After than, we definitely needed some libations so we drove on and got what we needed. Next we decided to get take out from Ta Ra Rin. We ordered enough for an army, and it was delicious. I even went back again later in the week!

On Sunday we drove to Cedar Creek to check out the campsites and go swimming. It is near Cottage Grove -- a little over an hour from Eugene. Beautiful area, but be careful because the rocks are very very very slippery. There were not too many people so it was nice, and the water was awesomely cool and refreshing (still a few too many people for sans swimsuit, but one could hike a little further up...).

Sunday night we went to Cornucopia. It was very good. Standard family food, but the people were friendly and, man, those local beers are great. After ditching my mother who'd driven down from Tacoma, my friend, brother and I wandered. We went to some great bars downtown and, again, the beer was awesome. I wish I could remember where we went, but I don't know names. There was a burlesque show going on somewhere, but I could talk the others into checking it out...(I think they were afraid I'd enter).

On Monday we wandered around the U of O campus and checked out the law school where my bro just started. The campus is beautiful!

Monday night we went to Cosmic Pizza (I think that's the name -- something with Cosmic in it). We had a pizza with garlic and tofu on it. So delicious and unique. This is a great place to check out -- they also have great beer and board games that you can play while you wait.

On Tuesday we headed back to Cedar Creek to camp for a night this time. It was great, although the ground was quite hard. :) The campsites are right above the creek so the night sounds are great.

On Wednesday it was time for more Thai and a few last beers. Coming from AZ (born and raised in the NW though), I can't say enough about the beer up there. Not sure the names of anything, but I didn't have a bad one!

I left Thursday early morning with the remnants of good beer and good Thai on my tongue (sorry to all who sat by me on the planes!).

It was a great trip. Eugene is a great town. You can walk most anywhere you need to go, and most people are quite friendly. I am a change-hander-outer (what a sucker), and I did do quite a bit of that there, but it was fine. I felt safe all the time. I definitely hope to go back in the next three years!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Report on my trip to Eugene

Glad you enjoyed your visit...what you can remember of it, that is. Yes, Eugene (and all of Oregon, for that matter) has great microbrews...and brewpubs galore (sounds like you kept the brewmasters working overtime!).

To offset the effect of all those ales, we also have great coffee roasters here (which sobers us up so we can be ready for more beer). Sounds like you got to explore a lot of the town and campus on foot. Come back again soon and check in with us...we'll give you tips on other sights to see.

And I know you would enjoy being here during the Eugene Celebration in a couple of weeks. Wall to wall partying downtown, with lots of entertainment, great food and, yes, a brew or two.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
181 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Report on my trip to Eugene

Ninkasi IPA is ambrosia.

3. Re: Report on my trip to Eugene

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 07:20