We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-show dinner for three

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-show dinner for three

I'm taking my daughter to see "Legally Blonde" at the Hult Center on Friday night, for her birthday. She's twelve and non-picky but also not overly adventurous.

Any suggestions for dinner near the theatre before the show starts at 8pm? Or late dessert, around 11pm? Hoping for moderately priced menu, not more than $20/pp for the meal. Also, we have McMenamins, Red Robin and the other "usual suspects" in Bend - it would be nice to try something different from the chains.

Thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,988 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-show dinner for three

http://www.eugenecatering.com/

Cornucopia has a second location at 5th & Pearl across the street from Steelhead. Quite a few restaurants in the area on 5th in or across the street from the Fifth Stree Market.

http://poppisanatolia.com/

A very good and reasonably priced restaurant a couple blocks south of the Hult on Willamette is Poppi's Anatolia...serving Greek and middle eastern fare (if that's not too adventurous for your daughter).

http://poppisanatolia.com/

Can't think of any late dessert places downtown right now. Most restaurants close by 11. We do have a VooDoo Doughnuts in town now, but although it's own 24 hours a day...I'm not sure I'd want to walk around downtown that late. Not much will be open, but the night denizens will be active.

I'll try and come up with more stuff for you tomorrow.

oregon
Level Contributor
262 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-show dinner for three

Sixth street grill is right across street and takes reservations. Tell them you are going to the show for right seating time. PNW fare, burgers, etc.

Fifth street market has many choices too.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-show dinner for three

In addition to the other good options listed, Cafe` Zenon is only a few blocks from the Hult Ctr.

http://zenoncafe.com/

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,988 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-show dinner for three

Will work on this a little more in a while, but wanted to respond to betjam and dengay.

I thought of both the Zenon and the Sixth Street Grill (also Ambrosia, Marche, etc.), but wanted to keep under the $20 per person for dinner cap.

Zenon is open again, but not nearly what it used to be and doesn't begin to draw the crowds it did in its heyday. And, since it doesn't stay open late, it's not the dessert destination it used to be.

oregon
Level Contributor
262 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-show dinner for three

Oh I was thinking more of 6th street's burgers, sandwiches, etc. We took our girls there many times before shows. Maybe they are open late for dessert? Check menu online sixthstreetgrill.com

Edited: 03 February 2011, 16:43
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,988 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-show dinner for three

If one sticks to burgers, simple pastas, etc., it's possible to stay under $20 at quite a few normally more expensive places. Just watch out for those microbrews, extras and desserts or you'll see the total jump.

I'm striking out on dessert places. Just about every place I can think of closes by 11. Perugino -- a coffee/wine shop on Willamette just a half block from the Hult -- offers a variety of coffee go-with baked goods and gelatos. It says it closes at 11, but I'd bet they' won't shut down so fast when the theater crowd lets out...especially if you get there by 11. But expect it to be jammed if that's the case.

There are probably places along Franklin that are open late (especially some of the 24-hour chains). fiveforfun...are you staying in town overnight or planning to go back over the pass again that night (which could make for a harrowing ride in bad weather)? There might be other options for late dessert on your way back to your hotel or on your way out of town.

Also...should we consider pizza places? Thai? Mexican?

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-show dinner for three

I guess I should clarify. By "not overly adventurous" I mean no blowfish, snails, pork belly (!!!) or things she can't pronounce. "Child with broad palate" might be a better description as she regularly enjoys sushi and other ethnic foods. Spicy is the only area where I teeter... But that's also partly because we are going straight to the theatre and, well, you know how that can go. Typically she no longer orders off the kids menu, which is why I want to be careful with the price range. But there's no question, this kid likes good food!

We are staying with family in Salem before heading home on Sunday. Dessert could be as simple as a trip to Prince Pucklers (if they are even open that late) but I thought... Why not ask the forum? It's always good to have options. And gelato... Yum.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,988 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-show dinner for three

I already checked Prince Pucklers. It also closes at 11 (maybe earlier on a cold winter night).

I still think I like Poppi's Anatolia for you for dinner. It's smaller, more informal and very popular with the locals. And it's ethnic without being overly adventurous. And their plates that offer a variety of fare can be tasty fun.

If you can't agree on a particular type of food, you might like the international food court in the Fifth Street Market...where you have a choice of several restaurants to pick from...to each his or her own...with central seating. You have to pick up your own food, however. Even Marche has a counter there, so you can have their fare without paying the going rate in the upscale restaurant. Plus you have Italian, Greek, Mediterranean (by the same person who owns Cafe Soriah and Zenon), Seafood, etc.

Only one concern: the website says these places close at 7 p.m.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre-show dinner for three

Thanks to all for your thoughts, I'll let you know what we eventually decide. :-)

I am leaning towards Poppi's Anatolia because it fits into our price range. PLUS there are nonexistent or poor options for Greek and Indian foods in the Bend restaurant scene so it would be something different than I can find at home.

Again, I appreciate everyone's thoughtful suggestions. Have a great night!

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,597 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre-show dinner for three

Thank you again for your help.

My mom joined us for dinner and she vetoed Poppi's... not into the Greek and Indian combo, I guess. BUT it still worked out very well. After a bit of wandering (in the general direction of Zenon) and Google-ing (I don't Bing) we ended up at Adam's Sustainable Table.

It was wonderful.

Though it went slightly over my budget wishes (total was $70 for three people) it was well worth it. I highly recommend the French Onion Soup and the Chocolate Volcano Souffle. I'll post a full review of our meal in the Reviews area.

After the show we were too tired for dessert. We did peek into Voodoo before heading into the Hult Center, but didn't buy anything.