We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route from Eugene to Crater Lake National Park?

Black Earth...
3 posts
Save Topic
Best route from Eugene to Crater Lake National Park?

We will be leaving from Eugene and driving to Crater Lake National Park next week. What would be the best route to take to get to get there?

Beaverton, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best route from Eugene to Crater Lake National Park?

The two primary routes, Highway 58 to 97 or 138 out of Roseburg, are both nice drives. If you're returning to Eugene, do a loop.

Black Earth...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best route from Eugene to Crater Lake National Park?

Thanks! We are not returning to Eugene. We will be headed towards Bend when we leave.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best route from Eugene to Crater Lake National Park?

If you do the loop suggest you take 138 up river. To me it drives better that way. I think the river views better going upstream.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,988 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best route from Eugene to Crater Lake National Park?

Agreed. Shoot down the I-5 to the #138, which follows the beautiful Umpqua River (take a break to see Tokatee Falls). You'll be going in to Crater Lake via the north entrance...and leaving the same way, although then turning east to the #97 to take you up to Bend.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best route from Eugene to Crater Lake National Park?

wisctrav, you posted as I was writing. so I missed you were headed to Bend, then even more so take 138.

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
28 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best route from Eugene to Crater Lake National Park?

Am planning the same route from Eugene to North entrance Crater Lake (is it clearly marked?) and would like to know approximately how long it takes to drive.... hope to hear from someone before next Saturday (Aug 27th, 2011)

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,988 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best route from Eugene to Crater Lake National Park?

Allow yourself at least 3 hours, maybe more if you want to spend time at the waterfalls. From Eugene to Roseburg is about 1 to 1/2 hours, depending on where in Eugene you're starting from and what sort of road construction is going on. Everything is clearly marked.

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
28 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best route from Eugene to Crater Lake National Park?

Perfect! Thanks so much--I appreciate your quick response. Sometimes Mapquest wants to do things it's own way.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,988 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best route from Eugene to Crater Lake National Park?

that should have been 1 to 1 1/2 hours from Eugene to Roseburg. My typing finger must have had a short blackout.

Sarasota, FL
Level Contributor
28 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best route from Eugene to Crater Lake National Park?

got it--still perfect.