We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold Beach or Crater Lake

Which Florence hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,593 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Gold Beach or Crater Lake

Our original plan was to head south from Astoria along the coast. Stop around Florence cut over to Crater Lake and then home to SLC. (so two nights/three days)

I've been reading lots of good reports about the coast south of the dunes and how that is the best scenery.

After looking at it I felt that with our time limits the south coast would just have to wait for another visit where we could include all the fun things in Northern CA and southern OR.

But I just wanted some opinions. IF you only had one chance to see them which would be more worthwhile: Crater Lake; OR the Oregon coast between Reedsport and Crescent City? I can't do both on this trip. (Remember we won't have time to do lots on the coast,,,just kind of drive by)

Thanks so much, you are a great bunch of posters.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
20 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Gold Beach or Crater Lake

Did the OP say what time of year they were visiting??? Boats, Rim Drive, North Entrance are all pretty much limited to summer and early fall. Love that place.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Gold Beach or Crater Lake

Bfrazier, yes, a later reply, toward the end of her missive, said September, so she is OK.

Uuhhh, Mtngrl, do you want to explain what a boat tour entails? LOL

Atlanta
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Gold Beach or Crater Lake

OK - I just posted on another topic w/ this same question - now that I move on down the topics, I find my answer! I think I will skip south and go toward Crater Lake Lodge. I already booked Sept 11 - it was theeonly night available - and knowing how the parks book up, I decided I better take it and build my trip around that. Thanks

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Gold Beach or Crater Lake

DDL, etc. Lovely time of year to visit Crater Lake NP. Well worth pulling over at various viewpoints, the "picture" really does change. Worth walking from each parking area closer to the bluff edge to look around and down. You will have a great trip.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,729 posts
1,024 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Gold Beach or Crater Lake

DDLWPL, lol! Okay, now read my other posting to you on the "13 days ..." thread :-))

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,593 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Gold Beach or Crater Lake

DDLWP, looks like we'll just miss you. We'll be there Sept 13 :-)

17. Re: Gold Beach or Crater Lake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 21:19