We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of re-routing our trip

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of re-routing our trip

I've been posting for an August RV trip in NoCal and SoOregon (and getting great advice). As usual, we just never seem to have the time to see the things we want. I had planned to make the following overnight stops: (BTW, the stops are based on drive times and scenic campgrounds.)

Start: Riverside

Lathrop, CA

Lewiston Lake, CA

Jedediah Smith State Park,

Reedsport, OR

Diamond Lake, OR

Lava Beds (via Crater Lake)

Lassen

Yosemite

But, starting to find us driving longer days than I would like and not getting so spend much time in our major trip destination, Jedediah. So, I'm thinking of scratching the trip up the Oregon coast and instead (after Jedediah) taking Grants Pass/62 over to Diamond Lake then on to Crater, Lava Beds, Lassen, Yosemite... ??? Will we be missing out on too much by taking out the coast? (Last year we did the California Coast trip along the 1, but after visiting Jedediah I was rather unimpressed and just wanted more trees.) What to do? I'm very curious to hear your thoughts... (THANK YOU!)

Here's the route we are looking at now (although only completed up to Lassen): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Riverside,+CA&daddr=34.876918,-117.498779+to:Dos+Reis+County+Park,+Lathrop,+CA+to:9001+Trinity+Dam+Boulevard,+Lewiston,+CA+96052-9650+(Lakeview+Terrace+Resort)+to:Jedediah+Smith+Campground,+Crescent+City,+California+95531,+95531+(Jedediah+Smith+Campground)+to:Diamond+Lake,+OR+to:N+Entrance+Rd+to:Lava+Beds+National+Monument+Headquarters,+Tulelake,+CA+to:Lassen+Volcanic+National+Park,+Mineral,+CA+to:Yosemite+Village,+Yosemite+Valley,+CA&hl=en&geocode=FUUWBgIdRK0A-Sm7ffR_36bcgDHoCl4TBdeh9w%3B%3BFT42QQIdm_rE-CEwFunl6XznAA%3BFYkxbgIdw5Wu-CkzoY_6FVvSVDGIDsYl8rgT5g%3BFWvBfQIdaZma-CEKW6GuhRK6lQ%3BFUDHkgIdLRu4-Cn7XYJR30_GVDHTp89BeMQcnw%3BFQYSkAIdilu4-A%3BFfAwfQId8M3B-CGpJz31_O2ocg%3BFW3eaQIdDPvB-CETlRJpMgAq_Q%3BFX7yPwIdAxPf-CmvY_I4_vGWgDFu4slULj8hGQ&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=7&via=1,6&sll=35.46067,-118.707275&sspn=4.598929,7.064209&ie=UTF8&ll=39.664914,-120.83313&spn=2.173452,3.532104&z=8

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of re-routing our trip

I suggest you drop Yosemite. I think Yosemite is one of a handful of absolute musts, but that can be another trip. Oregon coast as far north as Newport is not far behind on must list.

I can barely read your new trip plan too many d&s things

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of re-routing our trip

Sorry Carol, I don't have a clue how to access your route since it's about 1,000 characters! Can you make a tinyurl for it?

Where is Lewiston Lake, CA? Or, how will you be approaching Crescent City?

What you might think about is just taking a day trip up the Oregon coast to about Gold Beach. You'll see lots of trees and there are plenty of day use parks to see the rock formations just off the shoreline.

I can't remember if you'll have a MH w/wo tow car, or truck/trailer?

If you do not already have camping reservations at Yosemite, I think you'll be out of luck. They fill up within about 20 minutes of the time when they become available, according to the folks who specialize on the Yosemite forum. That's in the valley itself. There is a KOA not too far outside the park boundaries on Hwy 140. (Also the waterfalls will be dry)

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of re-routing our trip

I agree with phirl. Drop Yosemite, combine it with a trip to Sequoia in the spring or fall. Yosemite is much too crowded in the summer.

The Oregon Coast is a must see--it is the most beautiful and spectacular in the entire USA, IMO. Maine comes in 2nd.

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of re-routing our trip

Eeks, you're right Phirl that IS a long url. Sorry, I don't know how else to do it....

I'm kind of with each of you on dropping the Yosemite trip. We've been there a number of times (although I do enjoy it every time), but it's my sister who's caravanning with us who has never been and that was part of the trip's highlight for her. Still, skipping it is looking like a reasonable solution. It's not quite the answer I was expecting LOL but I too think you are all right.

half-brit, Lewiston Lake is in the Whiskeytown area, just north of the 299 which we had planned to take to the coast--open for suggestions there too. (We are aware that's a difficult stretch, but we can deal with a bit of sketchy driving if the scenery is worthwhile.)

No tow car. We are in a 24ft C-class and caravanning with a 32ft A-class.

Considering your advice, I'm now looking at taking the 101 up to the 42 and then taking the Umpqua Scenic byway (138) to Diamond Lake. Suggestions welcome... Geez, this is tough!

Baker City
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of re-routing our trip

A hint for those who are having problems with the link to the Google map the OP posted: highlight the entire link (yes it is long), right click and copy it, then paste it into the address window at the top of your browser.

Works perfectly.

6. Re: Thinking of re-routing our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2010, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Grants Pass
More Grants Pass Topics