We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt. Hood in summer, then to Eugene

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
43 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Mt. Hood in summer, then to Eugene

I'll be in Oregon for the Olympic Track & Field Trials 7/5 & 7/6. I'm exploring the coast on 7/2. I plan to spend 7/3 exploring Columbia Gorge, and I have a hotel booked in Hood River. On the 4th, I plan to "see"/"tour" Mt. Hood. I'm no mountain or rock climber, but I'd like a moderate-to-strenuos 2-hr-or-so hike there. Any suggestions, and what else to see right at or near the Mountain? Then I have to drive to Eugene, where I have a room booked the night of the 4th. Is the fastest way to get back to Eugene from Mt. Hood to go back up to Hood River, Then take I-84 and I-5? It looks longer on the map, but I'm betting it's faterThan taking 26 south to Madras - 97 south to Redmon- then back west on various small roads to Eugene.

Thanks!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,336 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mt. Hood in summer, then to Eugene

Take #26 to #212 west to I-5 and south on I-5 to Eugene.

Check out www.obsidians.org/otrials if you are interested in doing any hiking in the Eugene area, including early morning hikes before the meet events.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt. Hood in summer, then to Eugene

I agree with oregonpoppa, but a small correction. Hwy 212 turns into 224, and then meets up with I-205, then onto I-5. It is a nice route.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt. Hood in summer, then to Eugene

A good two hour hike during that time of year would be the Eagle Creek Trail to Punch Bowl Falls. It's a pretty incredible trail just west of Hood River on 84. Or perhaps the Timothy Lake Trail, or Little Crater Lake. Or better yet, the Tamanawas Falls Trail is an easy 4 miles round trip. I'd also recommend the Memaloose Lake Trail because of the thousands of salamanders that live there, but be prepared for a lot of trash on the road out to that one because of all the make-shift shooting ranges on the side of the road. There's also "The Pipeline" which you can ask about locally in Hood River.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
43 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt. Hood in summer, then to Eugene

Thanks so much to all of you. Great suggestions. I found the 26 W to 224 to 205 to I5 route on the map, and it looks like a great alternative to backtracking along 84. Also, thanks for the hike suggestions.

5. Re: Mt. Hood in summer, then to Eugene

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 17:22
Get answers to your questions about Hood River