We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 Days in Hood River - Is this too much?

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
7 Days in Hood River - Is this too much?

We are planning on spending 2 weeks in Oregon visiting Mt. St. Helens, Cannon Beach, Crater Lake and then staying at Hood River for 7 nights to tour Columbia River Gorge. We are a family of 4 ( two teenagers) and we love to day hike. So we are hoping there is enough to do for 7 full days in the Columbia River Gorge. Would love to hear from those that are more experienced with this area.

We are going to be there in July. Spending 1 day at Mt St. Helens, 2 full days at Cannons Beach, 3 days at Crater Lake and then 7 at Hood River. Advise?

Level Contributor
66 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 7 Days in Hood River - Is this too much?

I also love the gorge but since I live in Portland , I can come and go as I please. My family has been entertaining teens in Oregon the last 15 years.

One place that is always a teen pleaser is Alpine slides. You can rent

mountain bikes and the slides down the mountain are so much fun. There are two shoots and fairly safe, although we have seem a few burns on arms. You can spend a 1/2 a day there and then finish off the day with hikes on Mt. Hood. The other thing we always do during the summer is take a raft trip as suggest above. We enjoy Maupin, rafting the Deschutes and lately we have done an overnight trip which is really fun. My kids like going to Lake Palisades and renting a ski boat for 1/2 a day so they can ski. Bend is fun and the kids enjoy staying at Sunriver and biking all over the place. There are great places to hike in Bend as well. Hiking South sister is a kick!

A trip to the beach with teens usually heads to seaside so they can play the arcade games, pedal the surrays (sp?) and sand bikes and just hang out.

Also Ecola Park in Cannon beach is beautiful to hike. Further down the beach is Florence- land of the dune buggies which is quite fun and Jesse Honeyman park, sliding down the sanddunes into the lake. Lots of activity with great hikes nearby. Have a great time!

Floyds Knobs...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 7 Days in Hood River - Is this too much?

Thanks.. Lot sof great ideas. We are working on spreading our time out to cover more of the coast and other areas that offer great hiking. I really appreciate everyone's advice. You have all been a great help.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 7 Days in Hood River - Is this too much?

Consider visiting Silver Falls. This is a beautiful park with hiking along a trail with waterfall after waterfall. Really a beautiful trail!

Klamath Falls Or
Level Contributor
81 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 7 Days in Hood River - Is this too much?

3 days of day hikes at and near Crater Lake is not too long. Every year we meet visitors who wish they'd planned more time for hiking in the area, not less. Hopefully you're talking mid or even late July, as the higher elevation trails along the Cascades and at Crater Lake have more than normal snow amounts that will likely remain through June and into early July Check www.crater.lake.nationalpark.com/hike.htm for trail info in the park and ThingsToDoNearCraterLake.com/on-land/hiking for trails near the park.

Edited: 11 June 2011, 17:16
25. Re: 7 Days in Hood River - Is this too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11 September 2011, 18:35
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: 7 Days in Hood River - Is this too much?

FYI this year we went to crater Lake with our family and my father-in-law. It was mid July and part of the rim road was still closed and most of the hiking trails still had snow on them. The boat rides were not available this year until late July. With the trails closed due to snow, we were limited in what acti9vities we did at Crater Lake. Obviously you won't know about the snow until later next year in the spring/early summer time.

27. Re: 7 Days in Hood River - Is this too much?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 17:16
Get answers to your questions about Hood River