We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fresh Salmon dinner

Which Hood River hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fresh Salmon dinner

I'm visiting OR and WA these next two weeks and hope to have a fresh (wild) salmon dinner, with all the Pacific Northwest trimmings; my best guess is that this is likely to occur when I visit the Hood River and/or trout Lake (WA) areas.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a reputable restaurant we could hope to visit for this much anticipated meal?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,870 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fresh Salmon dinner

Fresh salmon dinners are all over in our area.

You could try the Columbia Gorge Hotel restaurant in Hood River if you want a meal there.

Or in Troutdale, by the Stark Street Bridge (on the Old Scenic Highway 30 coming home from the Gorge) there is a great waterfront restaurant on the Sandy River called Riverview Restaurant. Great chef and wonderful food. Great venue too.

Really good brunches as well. It's so pretty there.

Have fun choosing a restaurant.

Oh, if you are a dungeness crab lover, that is a specialty here too. We have great dungeness crab. Don't miss it.

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest!

min

I like McCormack & Schmicks on the waterfront in Portland. It's river-front and friendly. They have a good happy hour there too.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,870 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fresh Salmon dinner

I read your profile and noticed you like comfy inns and cabins.

If you haven't tied down your reservations in Hood River yet, I think you would like a bed and breakfast there are several there and in Odell and Parkdale. All accessable to the Columbia Gorge.

If not a BnB, then up on Mount Hood you will find cabins to rent and they are so cool in this "rain forest" area.

From Timberline, the closest to Highway 35 outside of Hood River, there is Government Camp Village (where the snow boarders and skiers are still having clinics), Zig Zag, Welches, and then on down to Sandy, a small town just before "civilation."

There is also the Innn at White Salmon and several bnbs in Stevenson, WA that Zoller's rafting recommends.

Min

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fresh Salmon dinner

Since you're particularly interested in fresh wild salmon I'd make sure when checking restaurant menus that they specify "wild." Don't accept Atlantic Salmon, which is farm raised and color added to disguise its gray flesh color.

If your waiter can't tell the difference, order something else.

Dungeness crab season is at its height in December/January. You can still find it on menus, but it's really late in the season for it. You might also want to try fresh Columbia River sturgeon when you see it on menus. Really good and not something you see on menus elsewhere around the country.

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fresh Salmon dinner

I took a look at the Columbia Gorge Hotel's site and it doesn't seem that there is any wild local salmon on it, no salmon at all for that matter.

You may try Nora's Table on 5th and Oak, they usually have very local and fresh ingredients, rather that something from a box. Here's a link to their site to see if their menu is something you would like. http://norastable.wordpress.com/menu/

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fresh Salmon dinner

I know you would think fresh Columbia River salmon would be common on Columbia River restaurant menus. Hey, you can see the critters climbing that ladder at Bonneville Dam in their quest for home ground. However, I suspect that the sea lions get more salmon than any commercial fishing boats do on the river (in fact, commercial salmon fishing many not even be allowed on parts or all of the river). You can maybe wet your own line at some times of the year (you'd have to check the fish and game regs), but you're more apt to find wild salmon closer to the coast...or flown in from Washington, British Columbia or Alaska. For the past few years, there's been no salmon fishing off the Oregon or Northern California coast.

If I'm wrong about all this, I'm sure someone will correct me.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,870 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fresh Salmon dinner

You are right. They only have Steelhead.

In my youth they argued wether steelhead were trout or salmon.. It was in the newspaper over and over...

I think they must still have people still studing it. LOL

min

Edited: 14 June 2011, 00:49
Level Contributor
34,986 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fresh Salmon dinner

Harborside (in Portland) previously mentioned always has a great selection of fresh fish. Very pretty views of the marina from this restaurant, also. :)

Edited: 14 June 2011, 01:05
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fresh Salmon dinner

Syrah...that doesn't answer the wild Oregon salmon question.

Steelhead are ocean going trout...and the summer run is on now. There is also a winter run, and they tend to be larger.

Fresh steelhead is very similar in appearance on the plate to salmon.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,840 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fresh Salmon dinner

Harborside, recommended by Syrah, is a part of the McCormick & Schmick chain. Their online menu includes "wild coho salmon," but doesn't say where it's from (it has what looks like an overpowering sauce on it ...Mushroom Truffle, Asian Black Pepper or SW Chipotle)...; and "Oregon spring chinook" (IMO a better presentation, but still doesn't specify the source, although the wait staff should be able to inform). Also lists a "NW Salmon Saute," which could be anything. On its wild seafood "trio" it specifies that its salmon is Alaskan.

The restaurant's special grilled cedar-planked menu includes Warrenton OR dover sole. The other items are from outside Oregon.

Just a few details that were missing from Syrah's typically uninformative report. On the other hand, she didn't tell us when she last ate at Riverside and what she ordered....or how it was prepared.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,870 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fresh Salmon dinner

M&S shows on each daily menu what is the fresh catch of the day and where it is from.

You can have it any way you want. Their chefs are always ready to cook to order.

AND I know that right now they say it's trout, but in my experience, it alway went back in the news later that they changed their minds again. Maybe they made up their minds for good now. All I know is they are good fish to consume.. yum.

min