We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bald eagle?

Which Hood River hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auburn, Washington
Level Contributor
261 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Bald eagle?

Hi,

going to Portland next week and planning to do hikes around the Gorge and Gifford Pinchot area.

Are there any places around the Gorge to spot bald eagles? Is that even a possibility? The only place that I know is around exit 22 (?) on I-84. I spotted one there in the past but that's it.

I was reading somewhere that this is the time for Salmon run. Is that true? If yes, I would imagine that there has got to be some eagles around.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,591 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bald eagle?

Hello, rOm,

Yes, the Birds of Prey and Osprey abound in the CRGNSA.. There is a Nest nearby Wakeena Falls next to Multnomah Falls but I am not sure that it is Osprey or Bald Eagle.

They like the updrafts of the mountains. Up on Mt. Hood on the South side, off of USFS road 48 they count and tag them. (Just the Hawks)

The Salmon should be spawning any day now up into Multnomah Creek at Multnomah Falls. they are already busy the the Columbia River and tributories. They are a sight to behold at Multnomah Falls. You get to see them up close and personal.

Be sure and check the ladders at Bonneville Dam.

Good Luck, you will enjoy the whole area in fall..

MrsO

Edited: 15 October 2011, 20:14
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,591 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bald eagle?

That place is on Bonney Butte. But check for road conditions before attempting to go there. It's had snow. The place is open til Oct. 31st usually, but weve already had ' snow on Mt. Hood.

M

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bald eagle?

Eagle nests are huge, usually deep and protected by tree branches. Osprey nests are usually shallow and atop poles, trees, platforms placed for that purpose. See examples here: http://tinyurl.com/4yubcbz

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,591 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bald eagle?

Bald Eagles are more towards The Dalles. They eat rodents. The other birds of prey are more the salmon eaters. Although I suppose the Bald Eagle wouldn't turn down a good fresh salmon.

The salmon are running in Eagle Creek and Tanner Creek. Soon to Multnomah Creek.

MrsO

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bald eagle?

We've seen 1 Bald Eagle at Multnomah Falls and lots of Osprey throughout the gorge scenic area.

Auburn, Washington
Level Contributor
261 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bald eagle?

Thks for all the replies.

The nest near Wahkeena - if we're thinking about the same thing - is an Osprey nest, not a bald eagle.

I'm so excited about this weekend!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,591 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bald eagle?

Be sure to get back to us and let us know how it went.

MrsO

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,591 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bald eagle?

I can't edit... sorry,

Use www.nwhiker.com to find trails you would like to hike. Follow the river between Washington and Oregon and click on that area of the Gorge you would like to hike in. You will get pictures, just click to enlarge, weather cams of the area, and lots more. Another of the volunteers at Multnomah Falls made the program. It has Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Montana area hikes and more.

m

Hood River, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bald eagle?

Hey there,

There is a nice hike called Eagle Creek Trail #440 in Hood River County. This trail follows a stream where salmon swim upstream. It is a beautiful hike that goes back in to the gorge and pretty remote so your chance of seeing an eagle is higher. The gorge often has eagles by the Columbia Gorge to however, and there are several nice parks that you can visit and enjoy the views by the beaches. Check out this website to read more about the hike! Good luck seeing an eagle!

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72BTJw8jAwjQL8h2VAQAzHJMsQ!!/?ss=110622&ttype=recarea&recid=29912&actid=51&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&navid=110160000000000&pnavid=110000000000000&cid=FSE_003714&pname=Columbia+River+Gorge+National+Scenic+Area+-+Eagle+Creek+Trail+%23440

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,591 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bald eagle?

Visit Hood River,

You will probably find the exact trail listed exactly the same in nwhiker.com. Go to the line between WA and OR and click near the Dam or Cascade Locks. Then search alphabetically for Eagle Creek.

That's what we use with the Forest Service at Multnomah Falls.

It's a lot easier than the website as you wrote it. The site is really easy to navigate. It tells you level of difficulty, shows you scenes you would see and features, as well as weather and other great things.

We also have a handout on that trail and others as well as a map of the trails and one of the CRGNSA at Multnomah in the Visitor Information Center. Stop in and say hi!

It's really good to see more Hood River People on here, thanks!

MrsO

Edited: 22 October 2011, 03:28