We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Sail vs. Double Mountain breweries

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Topic
Full Sail vs. Double Mountain breweries

Sorry for another brewery question, but during September's road trip I'll have one night in Hood River. Since I'll be driving all the way from Yellowstone that day, I'll only have time and energy for dinner and maybe two beers at one place before crashing hard. Next day I explore the Gorge and arrive in Portland.

So, if given the choice between one of these two breweries, which would you choose - taking the beer, food, views (if I can get there with a bit of daylight left) and atmosphere into consideration? I'm leaning toward Double Mountain since we can get Full Sail beers here in N.C. now, but have heard great things about the brewpub there ... although I've heard great things about DM as well.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Sail vs. Double Mountain breweries

That's a very hard choice. When we lived in Hood River it wasn't uncommon for us to stop at both in the same day, they're just a couple blocks apart.

For views Full Sail wins hands down.

For Beer I lean a little more towards DM, but some of the brewmaster specials at FS are exceptional.

FS has a larger menu than DM, but DM makes an amazing pizza.

The atmosphere at FS is more like a traditional restaurant, DM is more funky and casual.

FS does sell many of it's special brews in bottles to go or you could always bring your growler and get it filled at either place to enjoy later.

Personally I would go to DM and pick up something special at FS. Hope you can make it to both.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Sail vs. Double Mountain breweries

That's an excellent breakdown in the first reply; I can't add anything really except to agree that you should really try to visit both (but for me, my wife and several of our friends, Double Mountain is our #1 stop in Hood River).

One thing of note is that Double Mountain is supposed to be bottling at some point this year (or so goes the rumor), so you may not always have to fill a growler...

Another couple of places just to toss out for fun... In Hood River, Big Horse Brewing, just a few blocks up the hill from DM/FS, has pretty good pub food and a respectable beer lineup. Same goes for Everybody's Brewing, just across the bridge in White Salmon, WA. Maybe you'll have extra time... Or a next time!

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Sail vs. Double Mountain breweries

Wow, great replies with lots of info. Much-appreciated.

Sounds like if I can get to Hood River with a sliver of daylight left, I'll stop at FS for a beer and then head to DM for a beer (or sampler flight) and one of their thin-crust pizzas that I keep reading about.

Thanks to you both for the replies. Now, as for favorite waterfalls ..... :-)

Level Contributor
36,376 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Sail vs. Double Mountain breweries

The food and views are both very good at Full Sail. :)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,123 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Sail vs. Double Mountain breweries

Hello,

You can check out which waterfalls you would like to see by checking into http://www.nwhiker.com and there is a way to check hikes for features. Choose waterfalls and you will see them. Many are in close and you can see them from the road. But I think you will want to get out and see them up close. Others are from an easy hike to a very difficult hike.

You won't be giving anything away as they always look different depending on time of day, season, weather conditions, etc.

I hope you are aware of Multnomah Falls, the star of Oregon Falls. At 620' it's the second tallest year round waterfall in the US. There is a one mile switchback to the top, with a .2 climb over to a view area. Or you could go on up Larch Mountain, or around and loop back to Multnomah from Wahkeena Falls.

You can Google Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area for more information on the area.

MrsO

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Full Sail vs. Double Mountain breweries

Hi Mrs. O, thanks for all the info .... I'm on it! Over the last several months I've accumulated an entire folder of info on Oregon alone, including all the waterfalls in the Gorge. I'll be spending an entire day in the Gorge waterfall exploring, and don't worry, Multnomah will no doubt be part of the plan.

I'll stop in and say hi at the Visitor Center (do you work Fridays?) when I arrive in September. I have to meet the Gorge's most relentless and unabashed spokesperson ... :-)

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Full Sail vs. Double Mountain breweries

Since you aren't coming until September, I throw another kink into the plans:

hoodrivernews.com/ns/news-headlines/8556/wat…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,118 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Full Sail vs. Double Mountain breweries

That sounds interesting, dogmama. But "Pfriem" Brewing Co? Guess we know who's writing the start-up checks ;-)

Vail, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Vail
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Full Sail vs. Double Mountain breweries

Can't say I care for the name either, but the location is great.

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Full Sail vs. Double Mountain breweries

Thanks for sending along this link dogmama. Like you said, looks like a great location. I will definitely be monitoring their progress through the summer, and hope they're open by the time I get there. I know they're shooting for June, but I've been following the industry for a long time and know that most breweries never open when they say/think they will, for various reasons.

Anyway, thanks again. Cheers.

Get answers to your questions about Hood River
Recent Conversations