We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campgrounds near Historic CR Hwy/Multnomah Falls

Which Hood River hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Campgrounds near Historic CR Hwy/Multnomah Falls

We will be pulling our 26 ft 5th wheel and have been advised that it is not a good idea to pull the trailer on the Historic Columbia River Highway so I am lookng at revising our Aug 2014 itinerary to include an additional day in the Gorge area. I note that Ainsworth State Park is close by but it does not take reservations. Not having reservations can be very stressful so am searching for other alternatives. Although we don't tend to like RV parks, any alternative is worth looking at. Thanks for your assistance!

Camp Sherman, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Campgrounds near Historic CR Hwy/Multnomah Falls

I like Memaloose State Park just east of Hood River. There are some larger RV sites. Best are the ones along the river on the east side of park, along the NE corner. There are also some larger tent sites that might fit yours. When you reserve take a look at campsite descriptions. Besides hook up sites there is a dump station/water.

www.oregonstateparks.org/index.cfm…

Some freeway noise but if you are close to the river not so bad. Just don't get the sites directly below and along the freeway. Also a bit tricky getting into the park from the west I believe. I think you have to go to the next exit and back track back west.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campgrounds near Historic CR Hwy/Multnomah Falls

Almost any place in the gorge will have train noise, just so you know.

There is a lovely Washington State Park at Maryhill, right on the river with river views, but I think that may be too far east for you as it's by Biggs Junction, Oregon.

Hood River area has a modern RV park on the Washington side called Bridge RV Park.

Cascade Locks has a KOA with lots of trees. It's older - we first stayed there in 1992! - but has a convenient location to see the gorge and has more of a "campground" feel than a modern RV park.

Almost directly across the river from there is a deluxe lodge/resort that has a small RV area... http://www.skamaniacoves.com/rv-lodging.php Some sites are private and wooded, some have a river view. *Note* - there is a 16,000 lb (7,300 kg) weight limit on the Bridge of the Gods.

RV parks on the west end include Portland Fairview (very convenient) and Sandy Riverfront (prettier but less handy for the gorge). Both are large modern RV parks; Sandy has a dog size limit... 20 lbs I think.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Campgrounds near Historic CR Hwy/Multnomah Falls

Thanks for the great information folks! Will check out all of your suggestions!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
11,739 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campgrounds near Historic CR Hwy/Multnomah Falls

Hi there,

Just outside of Stevenson WA is a nice park but some lots are not level. Be sure to ask for a level spot and they will usually accommodate you if they can. It is beautiful and is beyond the train noise, all you hear of the trains is a faint train whistle. It is an old homestead that was turned into a camping ground.

I can't say that for some of the other Gorge Campgrounds. Bridge RV is not good for the vibrations and the noise, as is KOA Cascade Locks because it is divided by a fence from the tracks. But that said, Cascade Locks is a great place to be in the Gorge.

Stuart State Park at Lost Lake would be good. Nature and hiking abounds. It's just above Hood River. As Half Brit said, check the Oregon State Parks site and look for camping. Whenever anyone comes in Multnomah Falls with big camera equipment I know just where they are going...LOL Its known for the beauty surrounding it.

Best,

MrsO

Edited: 29 August 2013, 16:57
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,739 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Campgrounds near Historic CR Hwy/Multnomah Falls

Well I must apologize. Lost Lake Resort and Campground is good. Next to Hood River Lost Lake is famous for the views. Not expensive but no hookups. I believe Stuart is a federal campground and I had it but in a blond moment I lost it.

MrsO

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,739 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campgrounds near Historic CR Hwy/Multnomah Falls

A thought, look at Skamania Cove in Washington. It's overlooking the entire Gorge.

To get there, go over the Bridge of the Gods in Cascade Locks.

I was wondering if you have had any luck finding a place yet?

best

MrsO

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Campgrounds near Historic CR Hwy/Multnomah Falls

See post 2, next-to-last paragraph ;-)

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,739 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Campgrounds near Historic CR Hwy/Multnomah Falls

Oh yeah, sorry. We got a place there where the train noise was not a bother and we looked at a beautiful Gorge sunset from our coach looking right out over the river. Loved it. The gal there is great to work with Half Brit It's only available when the normal (?) tenant is on vacation..

M

Edited: 01 September 2013, 22:27
Save Reply
9. Re: Campgrounds near Historic CR Hwy/Multnomah Falls

Is there any free camping near the falls?

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,739 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Campgrounds near Historic CR Hwy/Multnomah Falls

Hi Violetwarden,

You would be better off to start your own post to get answers tailored to you for your trip.

But there are no campgrounds that I am aware of that are free.

Are you tent camping or RV? RVs could be at the truckstop in Troutdale I suppose and disperse tent camping allowed in National Forest areas is allowed with very strict rules but that would necessitate a NW Forest Pass. They cost.

What are your general plans for this trip?

Best

MrsO