We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbia River Gorge Interpretive Center

Red Lion, PA
Level Contributor
37 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Columbia River Gorge Interpretive Center

Hello. Just wondering how much time I should allot to enjoy this museum. While I enjoy museums, I don't read every single word or linger at displays. So, 2 hours? More? Thanks so much!

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,036 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbia River Gorge Interpretive Center

Hi RoseDew,

The interpretive center you want is, I think, is the Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center and it is in Stevenson, WA. To get there you have to cross the river (at the Bridge of the Gods)

We went there once on an interpretive (training) tour. We spent about an hour there and my husband came up behind me and whispered "we are coming back when we can spend more time."

I would say a good couple of hours would be good if you enjoy that kind of thing. It has 3 floors and lots of information as well as a mezzanine on the first floor in back where they show a short film on how the Gorge was formed.

Every time I go I find more information because the displays are all over and you have to look in nooks and crannies to absorb it all.

After you could drive east on SR 14 to Hood River before you cross back over.

Enjoy!

MrsO

Red Lion, PA
Level Contributor
37 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbia River Gorge Interpretive Center

Thank you, MrsO, for the info. Based on your comments I think I'll plan for a 2-3 hour visit. Of course, if the weather isn't great, perhaps even more time will be spent there. This will be our first trip to the Pacific Northwest and I'm having so much fun planning it.

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,036 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbia River Gorge Interpretive Center

I am glad you are enjoying it.

There are interpretive centers all over the Gorge and some museums as well. The Dalles has a program on birds of prey, Multnomah Falls is fascinating in the Visitors information Center, There is a replica of Stonehenge in Goldendale.

Before you go over the toll bridge, you might enjoy a hamburger at Charburger right next to the bridge. It sets on the river and you may get to see a barge or something while you eat. It's an old style cafeteria ad gift shop..

I love the Gorge.

MrsO

Edited: 14 November 2013, 21:09
4. Re: Columbia River Gorge Interpretive Center

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2014, 05:18