We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hood River to Portland

Des Moines,ia
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Hood River to Portland

My sister and I will be arriving in Portland late Aug.3. Our plan is to drive from the airport straight to Hood River where we already have hotel reservations. We plan to spend Aug 4 making our way back to Portland by exploring the Colombia River Gorge area. My question is knowing we would like to be back in Portland by dinner time what should be plan to see between Hood River and Portland to get the best time out of our day in the area. Thanks in advance!

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hood River to Portland

What are your interests? Do you want to hike? See waterfalls? Vistas? Bonneville Dam and the fish hatchery along with the sturgeon ponds? There is a lot to do and see but it depends on your interests.

I see you are fairly new to posting on this forum so maybe do a little research and then post a sample itinerary.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hood River to Portland

I'd get an early start, say no later than 9:00 AM, and follow the mapped route; you'll be in time for dinner. You can decide as you go when and where you want to hike. I'd definitely include Bonneville Dam. You'll see the sights mentioned above.

columbiariverhighway.com/historic_columbia_r…

oregon.gov/ODOT/…columbia_river.pdf

Edited: 14 July 2014, 01:24
Des Moines,ia
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hood River to Portland

This is what I was thinking for our day. Please feel free to tell me if I am pushing our time frame. We don't have to be back in Portland at any particular time was just thinking early evening would be nice. I think I have these in the right order.

Have breakfast and explore a few shops in Hood River

Horsetail Falls/Ponytail Falls

Bonneville Dam- No official tour just self guided

Mulnomah Falls

Wahkeena Falls

Bridal Veil Falls

Latourell Falls

Crown Point

Women's Forum

Portland

Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,031 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hood River to Portland

Hi,

Sounds about right. Are taking some time in Hood River for the Fruit Loop, Airplane Museum or wineries?

You will get off of I-84 at exit 35 to reach the historic highway- (Ainsworth State Park exit) then it is an easy drive from there all the way into Troutdale., stopping where and when you want.

Stay to the left at Bridal Falls.

Just past Latourell Falls to the right is a small park you can access the basin. Look up to the left- there's a trail.

Stop in at the Vista House. This historic Roadstand doesn't look 3 stories tall.

Before you reach Troutdale City Limits stop in at Shirley's Tippy Canoe and grab a bite or wash off the dust. It is another historic landmark along the Sandy River. Great food (diners drive-ins and dives filmed there) Outdoor patio by the Sandy River.

Rejoin 84 after you cross over the Troutdale Bridge. Turn right at the stoplight.

Have fun!

MrsO

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hood River to Portland

I'm sure you'll realize this when you're on the road and/or looking at a map, but Bonneville Dam is east of all the waterfalls you're planning to visit. Horsetail will be the first you see after exiting I-84. And you should be fine with your time frame as everything you're planning to see is within a few hundred yards of the historic highway. You'll probably even have time for a short hike or two.

Have fun, and enjoy the gorge!

Edited: 15 July 2014, 18:21
Troutdale, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Hood River, Troutdale, Cascade Locks, The Dalles, Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,031 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hood River to Portland

Bonneville Dam is really hard to miss but a heads up it is exit 40.

;)

m

Des Moines,ia
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hood River to Portland

Thanks you so much for your feedback! Looking forward to seeing the sights.

8. Re: Hood River to Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 05:16