We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me all about La Grande please.

Which La Grande hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me all about La Grande please.

The wife and I are considering relocating to Oregon. La Grande is on our radar because I discovered that there is no out of state tuition to attend E.O.U....sweet. I guess I'm asking you fine folks to either persuade, or dissuade, us from considering La Grande. We are desirous of a mountainous terrain for hiking and scenery, Does this describe the area near La Grande? For reference, the Durango, CO area is a favorite of ours but cost of living makes it unacceptable. Also, she will have about 1 year of nursing under her belt and employment opportunities for her are critical (cheap tuition doesn't mean squat if she can't find a job). Anyone know about nursing gigs in the area? Any information on the university would be appreciated, too. Feel free to add anything you think might help. Thanks in advance. Mike

Baker City
Level Contributor
189 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me all about La Grande please.

La Grande is located in the “dry side” of Oregon which is often called the “high desert.” The term “high desert” is deceiving because it really isn’t at all like a desert, it’s just a place that doesn’t get a whole lot of rain.

It’s near the mountainous 2.3 million acre Wallowa-Whitman National Forest. If you want hiking, scenery, alpine and cross country skiing, bicycling, etc. etc., you will find it there in abundance. What you won’t find is crowds.

www.fs.fed.us/r6/w-w/about/comminfo.shtml

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/w-w/

This part of Oregon is lightly populated. The primary “industry” is ranching. You won’t find trendy clothing stores and chic restaurants (if you want fresh sushi, you will have to go out and catch the fish yourself).

The ideal place to find a nursing postition would be the hospital in La Grande:

http://grh.org/

Another place would be the hospital in Baker City (slightly smaller than La Grande), about 38 miles down the Interstate. Of course this would require some commuting. You could live in La Grande or Baker City or somewhere in between:

http://stelizabethhealth.com/

I live in Baker City, so I’m probably not the best person to tell you what it’s like to live in La Grande. Since you mentioned scenery, here is a picture I took last fall from my kitchen window:

…photobucket.com/albums/…FirstSnow.jpg

naples, fl
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me all about La Grande please.

Kuskokwim,

I visited Oregon last year, but never had any desire to live there. After seeing your pic, I may change my mind.:)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me all about La Grande please.

Maybe you should come visit before making a big move? I havent been to Durango, so I cant compare personally. But from the website it seems that Durango is a bit more 'happening' than LaGrande-even though the population is about the same. LaGrande looks a bit more 'meat and potatoes' than Durango.. if that makes sense. But I"m just basing this on the website...

LaGrande does have a hospital and i think any part of Eastern Oregon they would welcome nursing graduates as it is lightly populated. LaGrande and environs is a gorgous area

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me all about La Grande please.

Oh, we would definitely check the town out before making any commitments. I am grateful for the responses. I can't imagine why anyone would not want to move to Oregon after visiting, but that's just me. Now if job prospects are poor or cost-of-living is outrageous sure, but otherwise...

Durango, Colorado
Level Contributor
22 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me all about La Grande please.

Oh, we would definitely check the town out before making any commitments. I am grateful for the responses. I can't imagine why anyone would not want to move to Oregon after visiting, but that's just me. Now if job prospects are poor or cost-of-living is outrageous sure, but otherwise...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell me all about La Grande please.

We spent a week in La Grande last summer (at a rental house we found on vrbo) and loved it. It's like Bend in the early 80s. Downtown seems like it's on its way up--we found a brewpub and coffee houses and even a vegan pastry. The farmer's market is/was twice a week, and they have a new library. The big box stores in neighboring Island City reminded me of the dichotomy that Astoria and Warrenton share. The proximity to limitless outdoor activities were a big plus, as was its location near Enterprise and Joseph. Big beautiful houses from the 1920s and 1930s were less than half the price of a similar house in Portland. We'd move there too if there were any jobs. Of course, we're not as marketable as a nurse.

7. Re: Tell me all about La Grande please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about La Grande