We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tent on the beach?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Tent on the beach?

We want to have large family picnic on the beach close to our rental houses in the Roads End Area. Is it okay to set up a large tent for the day to provide a wind break and place for food? Anyplace in Lincoln City to get such a tent?

5 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
1 review
1. Re: Tent on the beach?

I’ve seen sun shelters but nothing with 4 walls. And I think when it gets to the point that it’s so windy you need a shelter, a bbq is impractical on the beach.

I think it would be more hassle than it’s worth, with dogs, wind, seagulls, the difficulty of staking a tent in the sand, the amount of stuff you’d have to drag down to the beach.

When we’ve do similar things, we’ve booked a picnic area in a state park with beach access. Why not bbq at your rental house?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Tent on the beach?

is it possible- yes..is it practical.... hard to say. I agree with Marie- if its so windy that you need a tent- it wont be pleasant for a picnic anyways.... I think the staking of the tent in the sand would be the difficult part-particularly if it has walls and acts like a sail. I guess Im a minimalist!

Edited: 17 November 2017, 02:33
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
3,329 reviews
3. Re: Tent on the beach?

You can try the tent, but think about a Party Tent rental (w/o walls.)

We think the wind is a factor not to have a tent.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,486 posts
1,111 reviews
4. Re: Tent on the beach?

Hello, retired_ready2go, I've lived on the Oregon coast for many years and am quite familiar with Roads End. Is your plan for summer? If so, the wind will be a major factor. It is usually quite breezy in summer on the sand. Sometimes downright windy.

I suppose it could be done and as far as I know it's legal, but I tend to agree with post 1. Why not have your picnic at one of the nearby free State Parks? You'd have the added advantages of tables, toilets and close parking.

If you are determined to "tent it", I don't know of any camping-type rentals in town. There is a Walmart in Newport that would sell cheap tents. You might check with any service organizations if you belong to Moose/Eagles/Elks etc, or if you belong to a church organization that has a local church.

Lake Oswego, Oregon
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
5. Re: Tent on the beach?

Being a born and raised Oregonian I would never plan on having a tent at the beach. You might get lucky and have a lower wind day but all you need is a good gust and the tent will be gone. The Oregon coast is one of the most unpredictable wonderful places but you always need to have an inside back up plan since you never know what the wind and weather will do.

Reply to: Tent on the beach?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lincoln City