We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast - Portland Area

Texas
7 posts
Save Topic
Oregon Coast - Portland Area

We are planning a trip to the Oregon Coast/Portland Area. We are flying into PDX and driving to Lincoln City, we already have condo hotel room for 8 nights and returning to Portland for the last 4 nights the week of April 27 - May 9th. I would like to know of any recommendations for eats and sites. Also would like to know good places to look for glass balls and beachcombing for shells in the Lincoln area. We plan to use Lincoln City as our base and drive up and down the coast. Would like to visit a good winery, the cheese factory, see seals, whales, cranberry bogs, Mt. Helens, Mt. Hood. Is there any other suggestions? Also, looking for a central located hotel in Portland for 4 nights, thought about the Staybridges, any suggestions or comments?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast - Portland Area

Personally, I think 8 nights in Lincoln City is about 4 too many. And I say this as a former resident of the town. Is there any way you could take a couple of those nights and add it to Portland?

The Blue Heron Winery, which is near the cheese factory, is a great place to visit but try to go on a weekday as it gets crowded, as does the Tillamook Cheese Factory.

Blue Heron currently has a stellar deal on some great wine! La Garza recently sold and they closed out all of their wine. Blue Heron bought a bunch and they have a formerly $25 bottle of red that is now $10 and it is VERY tasty! I was just there on Thursday and I bought a case.

The Blue Heron carries many different wines, cheeses, dips, spreads, chocolates, gifts, etc. it would be a grea place to pick up some gifts to take back. If you have kids, they will enjoy the petting zoo.

Newport is south of LC and there is a fantastic Aquarium there. The jellyfish are beautiful and fun to watch. There are also seals, sharks and many other sealife available to watch.

If you are interested in shopping, there is an outlet mall in LC. I am sure they have them in Texas but there is no sales tax in Oregon.

Head north a few miles and hike Cascade Head for fabulous views of the coast. The trailhead is located off Three Rocks Road. On a difficulty level of 1-10 this is about a 5 and on a scale of 1-10 for views it is a 10!

Head further north to the quaint town of Neskowin and take a look at the petrified forest on the beach that was uncovered, naturally, several years ago. There is also a "haystack" rock called Proposal Rock.

Further north from Neskowin you can visit Pacific City. I know there is a wine tasting room there but I don't know the name of it. Just due north of Pacific City is another favorite place of mine called Cape Kiwanda. Hike the gargantuan dune for fabulous views and possibly watch hang gliders go off the back side of the dune. After you are done exploring the dune head back down to the Pelican Brewery for a cold drink and some great food overlooking the ocean.

You will visit Mt. St, Helens and Mt. Hood from Portland. I recommend driving through The Gorge into Hood River and looping around Mt Hood. It is a beautiful drive.

As for hotels in Portland, it will help to know your budget.

Hotel Lucia, Hotel Vintage Plaza and 5th Ave Suites, which changed it's name to?? are all great places to stay.

I have never heard of Staybridges.

Enjoy!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast - Portland Area

I can add nothing to PDXWindjammers ideas, they are all excellent and I am sorry I will not be here long enough to follow her advice too :)

5th Avenue Suites changed the name to Monaco Portland..still the same hotel, different decorating :)

We will be staying there next week before we move ~ ahhh, can't wait ~

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast - Portland Area

In my opinion 8 nights at the Oregon coast not to long to enjoy. You gotta have a few days of relaxation. :)

PDXwindjammer has good ideas. You would be within a few hours of the 'wine country' of the Willamette Valley from Lincoln City.

Check out the hightide line for glass floats and treasures. Useally these come up after big storms, so you will be at the mercy of the weather for these. Shells would be best found during low tide.

Dory Cove at Roads End district used to be the place to go for fish-n-chips, but I haven't been there in ages so I'm not sure.

Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast - Portland Area

Staybridge Suites is suppose to be on Glen Widing Rd near PDX. Thanks for all the other info. We really want to kick back a few days just watching the ocean and relaxing before doing a lot of sight seeing. you still think 8 days is too much?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast - Portland Area

Oh no! you don't want to stay at the Staybridge Suites, it is an airport hotel. It is about half an hour from town, definitely not where you would want to be..

Try some of these ...

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i…

Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Coast - Portland Area

Thanks Scarlett. The reason we were choosing an airport hotel was so that we would be close to airport the day we leave. And we wanted to be centrally located since we will be going th Mt. St. Helens and Vancover one day and Mt. Hood area another and the other two days spend going to sites in Portland like the Rose garden, Market, Pittcock Mansion, and Lewis and Clark Trail end, Powell bookstore and etc. We have a rental car and we didn't want to have to pay alot of parking at the downtown hotels for parking. We were afraid of all the traffic in downtown especially when we leave. So you still think a downtown hotel is better. We pick Staybriges for all its reviews on tripadvisior rated #2. Thanks for all your suggestions. I will check out those hotels on the list.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,931 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon Coast - Portland Area

Oh, you are welcome! I just hate to think that someone would come all the way to Portland and end up in an airport hotel.

It is not really that "centrally located"...I am in the Pearl District, close to the 405 and I-5, I am centrally located..and to get to the Gardens, Pittock Mansion etc, from the airport, at least 30 minutes, from town - maybe 10. From my apt, 5 :)

There are plenty of cheap car parks in town, Smart Park is one, they are everywhere.

Traffic downtown is never like traffic anywhere else..meaning I have lived in NY and Fl and at no time of the day is traffic here that bad..

If you decide on any hotel, look out of TripAdvisor, I have learned the hard way that some people on these boards will rave about a hotel they have never been to or will trash hotels they have never been to. You need a wide spectrum of opinions from elsewhere to make a decision based on reviews.

To tell the truth, I never read user reviews when staying in hotels. I pick the hotel based on location, what I can afford and my taste.

If you were just staying for a day and leaving at 5 am, then an airport hotel is smart, but not for more than 2 days.

All of this , is of course, just my humble opinion :) Which I am full of lol.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon Coast - Portland Area

I understand why you want to use Staybridge now that you've explained it, mamacita.

If you don't care that your hotel is in the city center, then by all means save the $$$ and stay out near the airport. It would be close to your departing flight and on the east side of the city, nearer to Mts. Hood & St. Helens/Vancouver via I-205.

Traffic in downtown is nothing to be "afraid of", but paying extra for a hotel & parking might be, especially when you plan on doing alot of regional driving in your rental. So check out the downtown hotels (maybe someone will give you a really good deal?), but don't feel bad about staying out at Glen Widing. Besides you can spend some of those sales tax-free shopping dollars at the Best Buy out there (and come late summer, our new IKEA!).

A final note: if you do opt for staying downtown, try renting a car from one of the downtown locations. It' can be much cheaper than the airport counters & some will let you rent downtown and drop at the airport when you leave. That way you can rent only on your travel days and maybe spend a day or two in the city without a car...

Hope you have a great visit!

Level Contributor
35,238 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon Coast - Portland Area

Blue Heron and the Tillamook Cheese Factory are both very good, Blue Heron is much smaller. You can wine taste there, we like the Honeywood Marionberry dessert wines that they sell and purchased some last visit.

You can see seals and feed them at the aquarium in Seaside, it is small but great fun and the seals are really cool there. We spotted whales at Ecola State Park and at Ave U in Seaside last week,

In Newport, the Blackfish Cafe has excellent seafood. There is also a winery in Nehalem where you can wine taste. Small place but lots of fun. Enjoy your travels! :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oregon Coast - Portland Area

Dory Cove burned down a few months ago. we were there just after it happened. It was pretty well demolished by the fire. I am not sure of their plans to rebuild. It is family owned place, and it was one of our favorites. we did not tell many people cause it might mean more time in line waiting.

Get answers to your questions about Lincoln City