We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon Coast - 9/16 - 9/22

Which Lincoln City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Metuchen, New Jersey
5 posts
Save Topic
Oregon Coast - 9/16 - 9/22

Hi everyone! I'm new to this post. We are taking a cruise through Alaska 9/9-9/16 and flying into Portland on the 16th. We really want to see the Oregon coast but have no idea where exactly to stay. I'm not into shopping so much as I work in Manhattan. We will have a car and don't mind driving, but definitely don't want to get caught in a traffic jam! Plenty of that right here. We are in our 50's, pretty active, and would like to see the local flavors. Anyone have any suggestions? They are welcome. Also hotels, B&B's? I would prefer a large Inn with breakfast on the beach in a romantic setting facing the beach with a beautiful private balcony and a martini in my hand!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon Coast - 9/16 - 9/22

Easy!! Stephanie Inn in Cannon Beach almost perfectly fits your criteria. Overleaf Lodge in Yachats comes pretty close too. With the time you have, I'd suggest splitting it between the two places, and taking short drives to other areas of interest. Astoria, Ecola St. Park, Three Capes Scenic Loop, Depoe Bay, Newport, Haceta Head, Oregon Dunes...... all are possibities.

http://www.stephanie-inn.com/

http://www.overleaflodge.com/

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon Coast - 9/16 - 9/22

Mistletoe has pretty much summed it up perfectly!

The traffic in Sept on 101 still seems bad to us, but the kiddies are back in school so it's not horrible. There do tend to be a lot of RV's at that time .... but compared to NY city, you may not even notice:-)

Alaska should be beautiful at that time, too.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oregon Coast - 9/16 - 9/22

You don't say how long you have to see the Oregon Coast, but I agree with mistletoe's suggestions.

Try to drive from north to south as you get the best ocean views that way. Remember you are on the left coast, so driving south the ocean is on your right. Driving along the Atlantic Coast really had me confused--the ocean was on the wrong side!

I consider the Oregon Coast one of the most beautiful coastlines in the country (and that includes Alaska and Hawaii), so stop at every turnout and enjoy.

Go as far south as you have time, then cut across the coast range mountains back to I-5 and you can hustle back to Portland in one day.

Metuchen, New Jersey
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Oregon Coast - 9/16 - 9/22

Wow, thanks guys. I just finished reading about the Astoria/Cannon beach area and I was hooked on that. I will be there for a week so I am sure we can get pretty far south, but I definitely want the north and central coast. I have written down (from somewhere) that I should go to Yachats or Depoe Bay for watching waves crash. If the weather is bad is that the time to go? don't mind getting wet, just thinking ahead re: what to do with bad weather.

Level Contributor
34,757 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oregon Coast - 9/16 - 9/22

Hi, I hope you are able to make it to the northern coast, it's so gorgeous here in Seaside where we are staying for a few weeks. The Stephanie Inn sounds like a place that woud meet your needs nicely, it's a luxury Inn with many nice amenities we enjoyed a fantastic dinner there several weeks ago.

Let me know if you have any further questions about the Cannon Beach/Seaside/Astoria area. So much to do and see here! :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,864 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oregon Coast - 9/16 - 9/22

Your timing should be great. Early Sept is beautiful here:)

Mistletoe can give you specifics on the Stephanie Inn as he has actually stayed there.

Syrahgirl--I do hope that you get to venture out and see more of our great state on this visit! Especially with Seaside just being in the low 60's this week, that is a perfect time to go check out other areas.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Oregon Coast - 9/16 - 9/22

I also really like the Ocean Lodge right next door to the Stephanie--it's not quite as frou-frou but I tend to prefer a more lowkey atmosphere (but still nice).

The Overleaf is great--not fancy but just really comfortable and with a killer view.

If you can get down as far as Gold Beach, the Tu Tu Tun Lodge is amazing.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Oregon Coast - 9/16 - 9/22

You're smart to be thinking about the weather, but it rarely is stormy for more than a day or two in mid-September. The sea wall at Depoe Bay is a good place to watch the waves crashing, but you could watch with martini in hand and stay dry if you're at the Overleaf Lodge. The coastline there is spectacularly rugged, and the hotel is situated very close to the water. We stayed in a ground floor room a couple years ago, and I remember waking up several times thinking the waves would be crashing through the patio door.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oregon Coast - 9/16 - 9/22

There is tons to do in my area. There are some neat B&Bs right on the water all up and down the coast. I have lived here all my life so haven't stayed in too many though.

To avoid traffic leave your destination early in the am ;). School here starts the day after Labor day. So it won't be bad, but you will hit motor homes.

I would take I-5 north from the Airport terminal to Longview Kelso turn off, then HWY 30 to Astoria. This will take about 2 hours. It is also much faster than HWY 26, as you can go faster, though the scenery isn't as good, there are more passing lanes.

Astoria is known for it Maritime History so hit a few sites like the Maritime Museum, and Astor Column and pick up some fresh or smoked seafood, and have lunch. Then work your way south :).

If you want more suggestions just ask. Feel free to email me also.

river_gallery@hotmail.com

You could easily end up in Cannon Beach for the night, straight driving is about 30 min from Astoria to Cannon Beach, From Astoria to Seaside is about 20 minutes.

You could stay in Cannon Beach and still easily do Seaside during one of your days.

Here are a couple of my lists that might help even though they are not written specifically for your demographic.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i2420-Astoria_A…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i3469-Cannon_Be…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
100 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oregon Coast - 9/16 - 9/22

We spent a week in Cannon Beach last Aug/Sept. We really loved the Ocean Lodge, corner room with fire place and balcony was very romantic. We walked over to Stephanie and thought it was a bit fous fous. The staff at Ocean Lodge was awesome very down to earth. The early morning walks on the beach were very refreshing. Warning we froze to death, bring extra layers for the walks (we are from texas). Our favorite restaurant was JP's (we did a detailed review on this post). We will be in Yachats at the Overleaf in mid August so look for our post. Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Lincoln City