We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon... a tad confused here, help?

Portland, OR
2 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon... a tad confused here, help?

HI! First off I want to thank all the people who generously give their time to surf around this forum helping people - you're amazing!

SO, I have been surfing around myself online and am pretty lost - it seems like every place has the things we want to do, but God knows which ones are the best places for each, you know?

I'm looking at the Nelscott Manor for July 14th-17th so I came to the Lincoln City forum with the intention of reading threads to find out what there is to do in Lincoln City and surrounding area for 3 days. I thought of Newport at first, but was drawn to the suite on the beach.

The Story:

My fiance and I live in Portland and due to Mexico's new microshipping thing we had the thought, "Oregon is beautiful and we never get out to see it..." Thus, the idea of traveling from our Sheridan wedding to the coast was born. I've lived in Oregon for most of my life and have done very, very little at the beach. I know it's going to be the best honeymoon!

I'll try to not get too excited and wordy...

Here's the list of things we've never done:

Crabbing & fishing, (will we be sitting on the dock all day and not actually catch anything in July?)

Quads, (Florence? Is there anything else in Florence?)

tide pools, agate hunting, bird watching

horseback riding

staying in a yurt

canoe or kayaking

whale watching, (that doesn't happen in July though, right?)

flying a kite?

The Aquarium, (thus I should find other things in Newport)

Some of the things, like yurts, boating around and birdwatching we can combine. We were thinking about Devil's Lake for that one, but these are just things I've found online.

Thanks to the person who posted the 101 mile by mile site, by the way.

Ah guys & gals, I am definitely a bit overwhelmed. I just started medical school and he just proposed - not a lot of time and that's why I decided to post this long request for suggestions. I'll continue to independently search, of course, but I wanted to ask your advice.

Thank you so much!

LEAH!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,496 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon... a tad confused here, help?

Congratulations and best wishes! If you could see yourself going a bit farther down the coast you could probably achieve all of your goals...and more.

From the jet boats up the Rogue from Gold Beach (will the Tu Tu Tun Lodge be out of your budget range? It's the only 5 star hotel in Oregon.) And there's an Agate Beach just north of Gold Beach.

Just up the coast in Bandon's old town, you can join dozens of others crabbing on the pier and, if you get tired of that, you can go to one of the nearby crab shops and share a freshly caught and cooked crab feast. Around Florence you can stay in a yurt at Honeyman State Park (reservations a must), go horseback riding (stables just north of town), hike along the surf at Washburne State Park and visit the Heceta Head lighthouse. From the lighthouse and/or the lookout at Cape Perpetua you just might see a whale or two. Depending on the tides you can also poke around the tidepools in both places. Newport offers the great aquarium of course and Lincoln City is known for kite flying.

All of this is certainly an ambitious itinerary for the time period you've mentioned...especially considering your other time-consuming "honeymoon activities." So, you might want to prioritize your options.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon... a tad confused here, help?

I guess I'm confused- are you staying in LC or are you open to other options?

Fishing/Crabing- the 'best' time for Crabbing is in the winter-its possible to catch stuff at the dock, but if you haven't done other things on your list-id focus on those(unless you are die-hard fisher/crabberpeople).

Whale watching not as good in July, but there are resident whales that could be about in Depoe Bay-near LC.

Canoe/kayaking available(at least in the past) at Ona Beach State Park-they give tours-just south of Newport.

If you end up near Newport- check out Seal Rocks State Park-lots of tidepooling there- however you propbably could find some closer to LC.

My 0.02-just drive down the coast and stop at what you want to see-the beach is always fun(to me!) no matter what you do.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon... a tad confused here, help?

Newport is a gateway, IMHO, to much more than Lincoln city, and has much of its own to offer. Check out the Things to Do box, left side of page. Birding and wildlife watching, with binos and scope, is interesting along the coast; be sure to check bushes, trees, and below the viewpoints for pelagic birds, sea ducks, mammals. Congratulations on entry to medical school and your marriage. You do have a lot on your table :).

BTW, given your science interest, the Newport Aquarium AND the OSU Marine Science Center should prove interesting.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon... a tad confused here, help?

You think you are confused? I meant "... on your plate" not on your table. LOL

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon... a tad confused here, help?

Okay, I don't quite understand your post, so bear with me here. (I also don't know what a pelagic bird is, voyaging, does it go on your table? Lol!)

Do you want to try to do all those things in three days? Hmmmm .....

I would suggest Newport perhaps might have more to interest you. There is crabbing on the docks there, but I don't think there is any place to crab in Lincoln City, as it doesn't have a bay. You can kayak in Yaquina Bay, (many people launch off South Beach)or just down the road in Waldport's Alsea Bay. Whale watching in Depoe Bay, as mentioned, or off Yaquina Head in Newport is often year-round. Tide pools, Yaquina Head again, in Newport. Also lighthouses, bay tours, and as voyaging mentioned, the aquarium and Marine Science Center. Lots of flat beach for kite flying! Many many birds just south of Newport 8 miles at Beaver Creek. Kayaking there, too.

Horseback riding and quads in Florence, about an hour south of Newport. There are also stables near Neskowin, I think.

Hope this helps :-)

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon... a tad confused here, help?

Pelagic Bird: Bird of the open sea. Sea birds. For example, gulls, albatrosses, certain cormorants, sea hawks (Oh, that's a surprising Seattle football team; there is no such bird.) The OP mentioned bird watching, so I responded to that query.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon... a tad confused here, help?

Ah, thanks. I'd never heard that term. Now if only I can remember it, lol:-))

Portland, OR
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon... a tad confused here, help?

Thank you SO much!! Any other suggestions are welcome. I'm writing them all down, but I'm in school now and everything is very rushed, (not only difficult classes, but they make you take 22-24 credits at a time!)

I was thinking about Lincoln City because there seemed to be some things we could do there and there's a very nice place to sty there. Frankly, I haven't found a great place in Newport to stay at - like a little beachhouse with a jacuzzi and whatnot. I found the Elizabeth inn... I think that was in Newport. Anyhow, time is ticking and I know I have to sprint to beat the other people seeking extravagant lodging. We're wavering on the yurts because it will be the season at which you seem to have roommates with lots of small children packed into one place. We shall see. Maybe the last night we'll have to stay at the EconoLodge or something normal in order to have enough funds! (no luck on the 5 star; it's out of my budget for sure... although "within my budget" is ringpops and no wedding at all).

I was thinking about a night in Florence as after reading I think it might be nice to have a sunset horseback ride and quads the next day - suggestions on great places to stay?

Newport sounds awesome though.

Can you rent paddle boats to go around the lake in July? Are people wildly abusing each other competing for space? That would be unfortunate.

I have to get going to anatomy and microbiology! I'm so grateful to talk to people who have some experience with the coast! You're really helping us a lot!

LEAH!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,068 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon... a tad confused here, help?

The Elizabeth Inn is lovely, very very nice. Let's see there is also Tyee Lodge in Newport, Little Creek Cove, Starfish Point, Ocean House ... I know for sure the last two have jacuzzis.

A thought might be to "split the difference", check out Channel House Inn in Depoe Bay, really nice.

I know there are small boats on Devil's Lake, but not sure about rentals. You could check with the Lincoln City Chamber of Commerce, they'd know.

Florence is tucked behind the dunes, so no oceanfront lodging, with the exception of Driftwood Shores at Heceta Beach. It's looking a bit rundown nowadays. There is a brand new motel right on the river, by 101, easy walk to Old Town, but I don't know the name of it. Not sure if there are any B&B's in town.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon... a tad confused here, help?

another vote for Channel House-

Get answers to your questions about Lincoln City