We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for crafter on Oregon Coast

st. kitts
3 posts
Save Topic
Advice for crafter on Oregon Coast

I'm going to be visiting the Oregon Coast this summer and would like to develop more crafting skills (soap, candles, fiber arts, etc.) for my shop in the Caribbean. What town/city would be the best place for me to stay for a month or so to explore what's new in arts and crafts? Shops, classes, farmer's markets, etc. Thanks much.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for crafter on Oregon Coast

Hmmm, I'll try to help here, but I'm about as far from an artistic person as you can get, lol!

I know that Newport and Yachats (both located in Lincoln county, south of Lincoln City) have a strong arts, music and crafts community. There is a Farmer's Market every Saturday in Newport, and every Sunday in Yachats during the summer.

I've been looking for some general information sites for you, but haven't been too successful. Here is the website for the county paper which comes out twice a week, and lists community events:

www.newportnewstimes.com

Here is another publication which might help:

www.oregoncoasttoday.com

Yachats has two large craft shows every year, and although this website is mainly for people who want to exhibit, it does have an email address that you could perhaps use to get some info about classes:

www.yachats.org/BusinessEvents.html

In Nye Beach, which is part of Newport, they have a very strong artistic community. Try emailing the Visual Arts Center to see if they can give you more info about craft events and classes:

www.coastarts.org/home.cfm?dir_cat=43258

Here is some more info about a couple of Nye Beach events:

www.nyecottage.com/nyebeach_events.html

Here is the local Craft Warehouse; they do have classes and events:

www.craftwarehouse.com/stores/newport.html

This store in Yachats does give candle-making and craft classes every so often:

www.jabookabee.com/

Good Luck :-))

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for crafter on Oregon Coast

It's not on the coast, but I think a visit to Portland's Saturday Market would give you some ideas.

http://www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com/

Portland Farmer's Market might be of interest too. I believe it's recognized as one of the best in the country.

http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/

The town on the coast that immediately comes to mind is Cannon Beach, which I believe actually started as an artist's colony of sorts. But, it's evolved quite a bit from it's early years. This may not be quite what you're looking for either, but the setting is breathtaking: http://www.sitkacenter.org/1-0.html.

Level Contributor
35,731 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for crafter on Oregon Coast

The Astoria Sunday Market is a great place to visit, it runs only on Sundays May-October from about 10-2 each Sunday along 12th Street in Astoria. Lots of arts and crafts, photography, and great food, too! We love the clam linguine here and the BBQ'd oysters.

If you're interested in visiting Fort Clatsop, they have candle making demonstrations during the summer months, it's a fun and educational place to visit while on the Northern Oregon Coast. Enjoy your travels and I hope you are able to spend some of your time in Astoria! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for crafter on Oregon Coast

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I haven't been to one of those demonstrations, syrahgirl, but as with everything else at Fort Clatsop, isn't the purpose to show how Lewis & Clark made candles 200 hundred years ago? Not exactly "what's new in arts and crafts" is it?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for crafter on Oregon Coast

Cannon Beach is known for being "artsy". The website www.cannon-beach.net has a link on the left for galleries. Click on that and then check out some of the various places. There might be something you are looking for, or they can steer you to the right place hopefully. I am not crafty at all, but have been to the bead shop in town and it is nice. There is a good yarn shop in town as well, and they might be able to share some info on other places.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,000 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for crafter on Oregon Coast

I agree..Cannon Beach is very artsy craftsy ! and the Saturday Market in Portland is also great fun...stepping back in time too lol Hippies with beads and tie dye etc selling their wares. But fun..

If you took the 90 min drive into Portland for the day, you could go to the Portland Farmers Market, the Saturday Market ..browse the shops on NW 23rd, some are pretty crafty and have a nice dinner or lunch and be back on the Coast before sundown :)

lol..candle making the Lewis and Clark way..first you have to boil the fat to make the wax....

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,067 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for crafter on Oregon Coast

Scarlett--LOL! When we lived in CT we went to Deerfield Mass to the Yankee Candle place. They had the same sort of demonstration of how candles were made years ago. Talk about scent overload though for the rest of the place. Makes me want to sneeze just thinking about it, lol!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for crafter on Oregon Coast

RE: >>"...candle making the Lewis and Clark way..first you have to boil the fat to make the wax...."<<

Umm, don't you have to kill the animal first? But they probably don't demonstrate that, lol!

Stkittsfan, were you specifically interested in Lincoln City since you posted there?

st. kitts
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for crafter on Oregon Coast

Thanks for all of the spectacular advice! I'm already planning my itinerary.

I posted on Lincoln City because I'd found a few crafty items on a general Oregon Coast search and thought that might be a good place to start. I'm originally from Cathlamet, WA but haven't lived there since high school. I have wonderful memories of Cannon Beach, but it sounds like much more is going on since I was there.

So, the whole coast is of interest to me. And in fact, I'm going to Bellingham WA for a soap making class so I'm going to hit some places there too.

Sooooo . . . all comments are welcome. I was most curious about a base of operations, so to speak, so I can find a cheap place to stay for a couple of months. Any suggestions on that are also appreciated. Anywhere from along the coast would be great from the sounds of it, including Cannon Beach since it sounds pretty central to my planned travels.

You guys have given great detailed comments. You're the best!

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for crafter on Oregon Coast

stkittsfan you would probably enjoy a visit to the Latimer Quilt and Fiber Arts Center in Tillamook, the website:

http://www.latimerquiltandtextile.com/

Tillmook is approximatley halfway between Cannon Beach and Lincoln City.

If you indicated about when you will be visitng someone may know of a specifc crafts event or festival they may recommend to you.