We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Lion caves

victoria british...
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sea Lion caves

Hi there, I was wondering if The Sea Lion caves are operational. When we were last down the coast ( quite a while ago) they weren't so I an curious. Thanks for the great info. I love the forums.

luau lady.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Lion caves

Yes, Sea Lion Caves will be open. But there are differing opinions on this forum as to whether or not it's worth the $8 admission. I'd rather save the $8 and see the sea lions from the docks in Newport, where they're often only several feet away. It's a more interactive experience, I think.

Level Contributor
35,731 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Lion caves

The Sea Lion Caves are great fun, if you go, let us know what you think! :)

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Lion caves

Syrahgirl has strange ideas about what "fun" is. If you like to be in claustrophobic odiferous locations and are happy to spend $8 apiece for the chance to see the sea lions through fogged and bespeckled windows...this is the place for you. Or you could see the sea lions (as noted) in Newport or by simply looking over the side for free at the walls outside the cave entrance, at the great viewpoint just south of Heceta Head lighthouse or at other picturesque locations along the coast. We did visit the caves once (being new to Oregon at the time, we thought it was required). The caves are special...but don't deliver the experience you are probably expecting.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Lion caves

I can not agree more. Definitely not worth the price of admission, and I can do without the smell. But, if it is something that you really want to do just so you can say you did it, then by all means go.

I think the sea lions are much more entertaining in Newport, and besides, you get to poke around the bayfront as a plus.

victoria british...
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Lion caves

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. We may not get that far down the coast anyway. Hopefully we will have good weather as we will be camping, but stormy weather is spectacular so ?

luau lady

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Lion caves

If you are driving south from Victoria. Take Hwy 30 down the Oregon side of the Columbia River to Astoria. You will probably be able to see sea lions on the docks there.

Many of us who live (and fish) along the Columbia River consider them a great nuisance.

Don't bother with the caves. As others have pointed out, they smell terrible and you can find sea lions on many docks along the coast line, so why pay $8?

victoria british...
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Lion caves

Thanks kitters, we are taking that route and are going to be in Astoria. We will watch for them, much appreciated.

luau lady

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Lion caves

Luaulady,

We visited Oregon this past summer and felt that a huge majority of the attractions were a great value...with the exception of the Sea Lion Caves. We almost didn't do them, but we went right by on our way to the Dunes, and our curiousity lured us in. I think we barely spent a 1/2 hour there. It was around $25 for our family of 3 to get in. To me, $25 for 30 minutes isn't a good value. The smell is pretty rank also!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,949 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Lion caves

If you don't see them around Astoria, or would like to see them for free from about 15' away, it's about a 30 minute drive south to Newport.

Since you are in a MH, if you do decide to see them in Newport, here are directions . . .

You'll be on Hwy 101, southbound.

Turn left (east) at the Hwy 20 signal toward Corvallis. That's the 4th signal after you get into town (Walmart is first).

Go to the next signal and turn right, down the hill.

At the bottom, turn right.

Then drive along past Englund's Marine, and you can either park along the street, or turn into a big gravel parking lot on the left.

You don't want to continue west along the bayfront in a large vehicle, since it will get very narrow and there may be big delivery trucks in the roadway. It's still a working bayfront.

Walk along the boardwalk to Port Dock 1 restaurant, and go out on the dock to see the sea lions!

usa
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea Lion caves

I agree with everyone else. My family and I just went down there in Septemeber and for $10 (not $8) you probably wont be able to see anything. They told us this time of year they do not go in there.

You can also see the sea lions down on 51st st in Lincoln city. They are accross the Siletz bay.