We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oregon itinerary.....please help!

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Oregon itinerary.....please help!

Hi everyone. I will be flying to Portland on the evening of March 18 and flying back home on the 24th. Here is my itinerary. I'm very open to suggestions, as this is my first time visiting Oregon.

Day 1 Arrive in portland at 8pm.....driving to the Clackamas Hampton Inn for the night.

Day 2 Driving toward the coast, enjoying wine country along the way. Checking into the Nantucket Inn (starfish manor) for 3 nights in Lincoln City.

Day 3 Exploring the coast

Day 4 Another day of wine tasting

Day 5 Checking out of Lincoln City.....driving to Columbia River Gorge for sightseeing. Any suggestions for inexpensive lodging?

Day 6 More sightseeing and waterfall viewing in the gorge, then back to Portland for the night

Day 7 Early flight back to Boston.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Level Contributor
37,591 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oregon itinerary.....please help!

The Blackfish Cafe in Lincoln City is a nice place for a meal. I would try to get over to the Oregon Coast Aquarium in Newport if possible, they have a nice waterfront area also in Newport. Have fun! :)

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Oregon Coast Aquarium
Oregon Coast Aquarium
2,074 Reviews
Newport, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
9,035 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oregon itinerary.....please help!

Lincoln City is not a marvel of Portland-style urban planning; it's sort of a long commercial strip whose component pieces decidedto merge into a single city with a new name. The road on the inland side of Devils Lake (south terminus is at the outlet mall) can provide welcome relief from traffic.

In a general sort of way, the coast gets more impressive to the south. By all means do the aquarium in Newport.

The Lincoln City Surf Shop (south end of LC) has a little surf museum. Farther south, Otter Rock is an easy and usually busy surf spot.

North of town, Pacific City (with the Pelican Pub on the beach) and Cape Kiwanda, Cape Lookout, and Cape Mears is worth the drive. http://www.pelicanbrewery.com/

If you had time, I'd urge a day of wandering around Portland, at least to go to some sort of concert or theatrical performance. Or just Powell's or the Japanese Garden (too many lanterns, but then again it's a teaching garden). Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden, opposite Reed College, is off the tourist route, but has gained in interest as massive naturalistic stonework has been installed. Or you can read Palahniuk's "Fugitives and Refugees".

Perhaps as interesting as Portland is Hood River, now a mecca for kiteboarding, but also with kayaking, the amazing Hood River fruit and produce area, etc.

One of the newer Oregon pastimes is riverboarding. I suppose that's being done in NH, too. http://facelevel.com/v3/

Mentioned in this post
Lincoln City
Lincoln City
Oregon Coast, OR
Newport
Newport
Oregon Coast, OR
Pacific City
Pacific City
Oregon Coast, OR
Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden
Crystal Springs...
361 Reviews
Portland, OR
Oregon
Oregon
United States
3. Re: Oregon itinerary.....please help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 12:22
Get answers to your questions about Lincoln City