We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel reservations

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
391 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel reservations

We are planning a trip to the coast (Lincoln City / Newport and points south) for the end of June. I would like to "play this trip by ear" and not make any reservations -- that way, we're not locked into a schedule.

Do the hotels and motels in this area fill up at that time of the year?

Oregon
Level Contributor
910 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel reservations

I think there will be rooms available, but probably not at the motels that are on the beachfront. If you want a room that provides a close-up view of the beach, a balcony overlooking the beach, and/or direct access to walking on the beach, you'd be better off making a reservation ahead of time. Of course, weekends are much busier than mid-week, so you should factor that in as well.

You may find this site helpful: http://www.visittheoregoncoast.com/

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,774 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel reservations

You should easily be able to find a place to stay in Lincoln City, Newport and points further south in June. Another option is to book something and then cancel before hand if it doesn't work out in your plan. Lots of places to stay in those areas!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,029 posts
1,074 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel reservations

I've lived on the central coast for many years.

If you have your heart set on a deluxe oceanfront resort, then you should by all means book ahead.

If you simply want accommodations you'll be fine. It's even possible you'll find room in upscale oceanfront hotels. The larger towns have a large selection of lodging.

I would do some research ahead of time and have a few possibilities in each town, so you're not just driving aimlessly around at 7:00 in the evening, lol ;-)

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
391 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel reservations

Thanks everyone for the great answers! It looks like we'll probably be okay without reservations.

We're (wife and I) planning on spending a few days with relatives first (they live near Bend) and they may or may not be able to give us a tour of the coast due to health issues, but we want to check out the coast no matter what. It's all very difficult to schedule because of this. Might wind up spending more time in the Bend area, etc., but it looks like we'll be scheduling a large part of this trip "as we go." I don't mind that, as long as there are places to stay.

Have 16 days total (driving from Denver), but would like to do it in 12. Right now, I'm looking at a route that looks like this: Denver --> Twin Falls, ID --> Bend. Spend a few days there with relatives then Bend --> Lincoln City and probably down the coast to Eureka, CA or so before heading back east.

We've been in eastern Oregon before, but never the coast and the last time my wife and I saw the Pacific was on our honeymoon (San Francisco, 1978). REALLY starting to look forward to the trip.

Thoughts and advice always appreciated. :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,029 posts
1,074 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel reservations

The more picturesque towns along your coastal route would be:

Yachats

Bandon

Trinidad, CA

Ferndale (if you go that far south)

Second tier -

Newport

Gold Beach

Brookings

Crescent City

Just my opinion ;-)

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
391 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel reservations

Thanks, half-Brit -- I'll look into all of those. Ferndale might not be out of the question.

The in-laws mentioned Lincoln City and Newport as favorites, but I have a feeling that might have more to do with slot machines than scenery. :)

If things work out, it looks like we might have about 4 days to play on the coast and could extend that a little if we're having too much fun. I'm kind of thinking of a 2-day drive back to Denver from the coast, so there won't be any real sightseeing on the way back.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
813 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel reservations

I have done the Oregon and California coast many times. I agree about the small coastal communities of Yachats and Bandon...two of our favorites. We also love DePoe Bay and suggest you look into it as well.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,029 posts
1,074 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel reservations

To me, Depoe Bay has some attraction because of the tiny harbour. In winter, it's great fun to watch the boats go through the slot under the bridge and the waves will literally splash onto the highway :-) However, the little town has lots of somewhat tacky touristy shops selling lots of plastic stuff.

Lincoln City is a long, straggly congested town without much charm, in my opinion, although the Taft area isn't too bad.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,110 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel reservations

Actually, if you're being honest, almost every town, village and hamlet on the Oregon Coast has a sizable presence of tacky, touristy shops. And that's not necessarily a horrible thing. If the tourists weren't buying whatever they're selling, they wouldn't remain in business. And their families would go hungry. Economics 101.

Edited: 06 May 2013, 05:42
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,029 posts
1,074 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel reservations

Actually, no. There are *many* towns which do not have a whole line of tacky touristy shops as Depoe Bay does. But hey, the tourists seem to love Depoe Bay, so all's good :-)