We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me plan my vineyard visits

St-lambert
Level Contributor
968 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help me plan my vineyard visits

Hello

I'll be in McMinnville on July 20 for two days, on July 20 I would like to visit two vineyards and on July 21, to visit 3-4 vineyard,may I have some recomandation please, perhaps some that don't charge for tasting or minimum cost.

Merci

Sylvain

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,568 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me plan my vineyard visits

The only winery I know of that doesn't charge a tasting fee is Duck Pond Cellars, in Dundee. Dobbes Family Estate winery is close by, and may also not charge a tasting fee. But neither is representative of the wonderful wines being produced in Oregon.

So for July 20, I'd recommend De Ponte Cellars and Domaine Drouhin, both located in the Dundee hills, 15 minutes from McMinnville. Tasting fee at each is $10, which is what you should expect at most wineries in this highly traveled section of wine country.

For July 21, I suggest you get off the beaten path, and drive south to taste at Witness Tree, Cristom, St. Innocent, and Bethel Heights. Tasting fees at those wineries are $5, and welI worth the 30 minute drive from McMinnville.

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,359 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me plan my vineyard visits

if you type in the search box "short trip to the wine country", you can read my trip report for our last time there. we had so much fun, great wines and good food. if in mcminnville, don't forget the tapas restaurant of las rambles...yummy

have fun

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,470 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me plan my vineyard visits

Your obstacle will be the tasting fees. Finding ones with no fee will be tough, but there are lots that reasonable.

That said, we live very close to the wineries and go often. My favorites do not necessarily have the vineyards there on site.

The wineries that are my favorites include Brick House, Arbor Brook, Seufert, and Seven of Hearts. Others that I really like are Chehalem, Domaine Drouhin, Adelshiem and for sparkling wine Argyle.

I much prefer the smaller wineries. You often get much better wines and at much better prices.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me plan my vineyard visits

OP is asking about vinyards, not wineries. Chuck...

5. Re: Help me plan my vineyard visits

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 16:06
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
11,359 posts
522 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me plan my vineyard visits

thru, think that the poster black belt , was trying to give me a dig...charley , being chuck...don't we love the digs...ha

ps, the op and i are pm each other, and i think that he is happy.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,749 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me plan my vineyard visits

Honestly, no "digs" Charley. Just that OP specifically asked about vineyards. And for your edification(SAT word?) thrum, even though some wineries have their own vineyards, many do not. They buy their grapes from vinyardists. Two seperate operations, two seperate words. Keep up. Chuck...

8. Re: Help me plan my vineyard visits

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 16:05
Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,255 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me plan my vineyard visits

tsk, tsk, folks....open a bottle each and mellow out.

10. Re: Help me plan my vineyard visits

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 16:05
Get answers to your questions about McMinnville