We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
help with 1 night in Medford or Ashland

We will be driving north after driving down the Oregon Coast, 4 nights in San Francisco, 3 nights in Napa-- in July. We need a one night stop between Napa and McMinville. We are thinking of Ashland or Medford. In Medford I was wondering about Homewood Suites--looks like it's not really close to much, but would we find a few things to do in the late afternoon and evening in Medford? Our other choice would be The Village Suites at Ashland Hills. What is that close to? Any comments from members who are familiar with this area? One thing I have noticed in my research is a lot of accommodations are dog friendly. I would actually prefer not to stay where dogs are allowed. Cleanliness and a comfortable, quiet, sleep are our top priority, but we also don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere. Proximity to some evening activities would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with 1 night in Medford or Ashland

I've stayed at the Homewood, and would recommend it. Quiet, comfortable rooms. Breakfast is OK too. You're right... not a lot to do in Medford but depending on when you roll into town it might be a moot point. Since the Homewood is at the South end of town, it's only a short drive to Ashland if you decide you would like to check out that town. Other than that, there are a couple of cheese places you could try, and several parks where you can stretch your legs after all that driving.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,116 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with 1 night in Medford or Ashland

We've stayed at the Village Suites in Ashland several times. It's main advantage is price for the amount of room - you get a full suite with separate rooms, all good sized. Breakfast is now rather pathetic to be honest; it was just a muffin, banana and juice last time we stayed there in Sept.

We like it because it is out of town, with a lovely view of the hills, and it's not crammed in with other buildings, but there is not anything to do there unless you drive into Ashland, about 10 minutes. To my knowledge, all the rooms are pet friendly (which is another reason we stay there) , so I don't think you can request a non-pet room. Although they have always been very clean :-)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
309 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with 1 night in Medford or Ashland

Thanks--you summed up what I had kind of concluded. I think we'll book the Homewood Suites. However, now I'm wondering if we should book 2 nights and make Crater Lake a day trip. Is it possible to drive to Crater Lake and drive the rim and possibly take the boat tour from Medford? Or is that too long of a day?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,116 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with 1 night in Medford or Ashland

Yes, it sounds as if that will suit you better :-)

Crater Lake is an easy day trip from Medford, about 2 hours +/-. The boat trips run only from mid-July to mid-Sept . . . although I seem to recall your trip is in the summer?

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,536 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with 1 night in Medford or Ashland

A one-night stay in July will cost a lot less in Medford than in Ashland.

It is the high season for the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and unless you want to see a play (and have tickets) you'll find Ashland a bit busy, lodging tight, etc. Although Ashland is aesthetically much more attractive than Medford, the latter should serve your needs quite well.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: help with 1 night in Medford or Ashland

It's about 20 miles farther to Crater Lake from there, but you might also consider Grants Pass. Cute, easily walkable downtown. And, you might be able to fit in a jetboat trip on the Rogue River (or, are you doing one from Gold Beach?).

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
159 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with 1 night in Medford or Ashland

You are correct that the Homewood Suites is not that close to much, but, having stayed in nearly every hotel/motel in Medford and Ashland, Homewood Suites is my choice of best place to stay, with one comment. For going to plays in Ashland, nothing beats staying within walking distance, e.g., the Ashland Springs Hotel or Winchester Inn B&B. But, they become rather high-priced during the heart of the OSF season. And, if you are not easy walking distance to OSF, there is not much difference in staying in Medford versus staying 2 miles away in Ashland: you still have to find a place to park in downtown Ashland, and, if you are just stopping for the night, the HS is an easy choice. The Homewood Suites breakfast sometimes is really great, e.g., potato pancakes, but the real plus is that you get dinner at no extra charge, too. They seem to want to call it an evening reception or snack, but it really is a full dinner with beer and wine at no extra charge. Plus, the rooms, or rather, suites, are very nice, with two rooms, two flat screen TVs, etc. Also a basketball court, workout room, and guest computer. We are going again in June for a combo work/play, with a day or two of work in Medford, followed by three plays, backstage tour, and The Feast of Will. Since discovering the Homewood Suites in Medford, I try to stay int hem wherever I go, if available. One more note, if you qualify for govt. rate, their policy is to let you use it, even if you are on personal vacation rather than govt. business.

Medford, OR
Level Contributor
212 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with 1 night in Medford or Ashland

Hi there! Homewood is great. Just some warning about the boat trip on Crater Lake. YOu should call the park in advance to enquire about the conditions/rules. Be aware that there is a very, very steep hike both up and down to board the boat and no means to traverse it if you are not in good condition, have mobility issues, or have children who can't do it. Also, you cannot reserve a spot; it's first-come, first-serve on the day of departure. (I'm not sure if staying at the lodge at the rim gives you an exception. You could look into that.) We're locals and have gone to CL many, many times on our own and with visitors. We've never been able to get on the boat tour. It has been sold out every time, even when we got there as early as we could manage it.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help with 1 night in Medford or Ashland

I think the boat ride is quite interesting. The trail down is 1 mile and is 700 ft elevation change. The good news is that if someone thinks this is too much for them, there are several benches along the way for people to sit and rest.

We got to the kiosk that sells the boat ride tickets (at Cleetwood Cove Trailhead parking lot) shortly after they opened and had no trouble getting tickets for a ride that morning.

Level Contributor
36,321 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help with 1 night in Medford or Ashland

Check out the Columbia Hotel in downtown Ashland, it is right on Main St. in Ashland. You can walk to Lark's, Winchester Inn, Amuse, Chateaulin for dinner. Have a great trip! :)

Get answers to your questions about Medford