We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in Jacksonville

warrington
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Topic
where to stay in Jacksonville

Mt husband and I plan to visit Jacksonville next spring from the UK. During our trip we will not have a car = is downtown the best area to stay and could any one recommend a good hotel. Is the city walkable with plenty of shopping, restaurants, bars etc

thanks

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,654 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in Jacksonville

Are you talking about Jacksonville, Florida or Jacksonville, Oregon?

I suspect it is the latter and you should look on the Florida/Jacsonville forums for answers. Without a car I don't even know how you would get to Jacksonville, OR...which has a great Britt Festival each year, but has a "downtown" you could walk through in five minutes. The only shopping nearby would be in Ashland or Medford.

That being said, you should try visiting us one day also.

Medford, OR
Level Contributor
212 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in Jacksonville

Assuming you intend to be in J'ville, Oregon, check out the website for the Jacksonville Inn. They have some nice cottages right in town and their Bistro serves great food, too. (My husband I dine there regularly and they just catered a great garden party for a neighbor here in Medford.) J'ville is a very walkable little town and there are lots of cute shops right there on the main street with something for everyone--clothes and accessories, gelato, housewares, British goods, antiques, quilts, etc. You can get a cab from the Medford airport to J'ville. It's only about a 15 minute drive. You'll be a little isolated w/o a car, but if you want a relaxing weekend, that could work, since the town is so walkable.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in Jacksonville

To the OP - You have posted elsewhere for several locations in the US. It would be best if you posted your proposed itinerary as best you now know it so we can be more helpful. Some of us have traveled throughout the US, so post here, of course, but consider also the Road Trip Forum.

warrington
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in Jacksonville

Hi

thanks for responding. My wife and I are flying from the UK to Jacksonville, florida where we are going to stay for approx 4 days. We think we are then going to get the train to Charleston where we will go to Folly Island for 3 days and then stay in Charleston town for 4 days. We will then fly back to Philadelphia where we are going to stay for 3 days before flying back to the UK. We dont want to drive in the US and feel that this trip would be our best option. I should be grateful for your views and also if you could recommend any good inns/hotels to stay and which area you would recommend in Jacksonville. If you think there are alternative towns which we could fly to from Philadelphia which would be better for us we would love to have your ideas. We want to stay on the east side of the us as we are only there for 2 weeks and it is too long to travel to the west. Last year we went to Savannah and had a fantastic time. We really want somewhere we can walk safely or that has a really good treansporation system,

thanks for your help

Ged

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,654 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in Jacksonville

Once again, this is not the Jacksonville FLORIDA forum...it's the Jacksonville OREGON forum. Your Jacksonville is on the Atlantic coast, 3000+miles away from Oregon, which is on the Pacific coast.

Please repost your query on

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60805-i377-Jackso…

6. Re: where to stay in Jacksonville

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Medford