We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

L.A to Seattle Christmas via Klamath Falls this week...

Culver City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
L.A to Seattle Christmas via Klamath Falls this week...

Looking for some reassurance re our drive starting this Thurs. Plan on first night in Redding then going up the 99 and staying next night somewhere near Crescent Lake/Williamette Pass. Have a small dog and worried about accommodations and food over that stretch. Next night we will be in Portland. Just worried about services over that stretch. Alot of snow this week. Any recommendations? Crescent Lake inn looks like it will be hard to get too. Rather stay near the highway. Nervous Nelly here.. Jetta wagon & chains.. Thank you!

Culver City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: L.A to Seattle Christmas via Klamath Falls this week...

Sorry, wrong highway #. highway 97, not 99 from Redding through Klamath then cutting over over to portland via 58 Willamette highway.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,988 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: L.A to Seattle Christmas via Klamath Falls this week...

Well, betsy t, you do have some challenges ahead. First of all, Culver City to Redding is a long day's drive in itself, especially if you hit bad weather or fog on I-5 going through Sacramento Valley. Then, your issues with snow and ice can start as soon as the Shasta Lakes and Mt. Shasta area.

You apparently want to go up 97 to avoid Siskiyou Pass, but if you check www.tripcheck.com

you'll see that snow is forecast for Klamath Falls also...and to get to Crescent Lake you have to go over Willamette Pass, which is getting heavy snow. If you stick to the 97 route, I'd head for Bend, where there is ample lodging available and continue up to the Gorge and into Portland the next day.

Or...doublecheck the conditions in Siskiyou Pass and stay on I-5 for the shortest, quickest route if you can get through. Either way, I hope you have traction devices (including chains) just in case.

Also, consider going up through San Francisco (stay night in Santa Rosa/Sonoma County) and continue on 101 with second night in Crescent City or Bandon, if you can make it that far. Then cut across to I-5 farther north. That will keep you out of the mountains altogether. It's a longer drive, but could be shorter and a lot safer than fighting the high altitude snow and ice risks.

Culver City...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: L.A to Seattle Christmas via Klamath Falls this week...

Thank you so so much. I will share w/my hubby. merry christmas.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: L.A to Seattle Christmas via Klamath Falls this week...

405 to 101 and you are on your way up the beach. Who cares if it takes longer, if snow is a factor.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: L.A to Seattle Christmas via Klamath Falls this week...

Hi betsy t and welcome to TripAdvisor. You've done the right thing asking questions here. It's very hard to believe where you are, but it is really cold and snowing all over right now up north!

Oregonpoppa gives you some great options - if it were me, I'd go with his suggestion in his final paragraph. Note though, that there is snow in the lower coast range today! If you opt to go north on 101, head east on either Hwy 42 or Hwy 38 as both of those are lower elevation roads with less chance of snow and ice.

Today, there is **snow on Hwy 101 at sea level**. Hopefully it will warm up tomorrow and be gone, but we've had lots of snow/hail showers today.

Here are some very useful websites that will give you information and road conditions, including real-time photos:

California- http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist2/travelmap.htm (NE Calif, I-5)

http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist1/d1tmc/index.htm (NW Calif, Hwy 101)

Oregon- www.tripcheck.com

Washington- http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ (Traveler Information)

6. Re: L.A to Seattle Christmas via Klamath Falls this week...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 22:15
Get answers to your questions about Medford