We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family white water rafting adventure Summer 2014

Which Medford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
5 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Family white water rafting adventure Summer 2014

I'm trying to put together a family vacation next Summer. I'm thinking a 2 or 3 day white water rafting on the Rogue as it looks like it has the most chance of nice scenery and class II-III rapids as only 2 of the rafters will have had any experience rafting. One of the rafters is a grandma, active hiker, but a little scared about this..lol The majority of trips I'm seeing now look rather costly...in the neighborhood of approx $850 per person. Way outta the comfort zone for all of us. We're all good with camping, so if anyone knows of a good, reputable company I'd sure appreciate it. The youngest rafter is 8. We all live in Northern CA and some have done the American River. Many of the river outfitters here have camping onsite, so I'd love if we can find someplace that has something similar. The lodge route would be great, but looks pricey.

Thanks so much!

Kim

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family white water rafting adventure Summer 2014

Yes, commercial Rogue trips can be costly. A really nice alternative is a 3- or 4-day trip on the middle stretch of the Klamath River, along the Calif-Oregon border. The trip starts in Happy Camp, about 1.5 hours west of Yreka on Hwy 96. It's a lovely and fun multi-day run with osprey, eagles and, if you're lucky river otter or deer even an occasional bear. The river alternates between calm floating and fun but not dangerous rapids.

If you're interested, I can highly highly recommend a longtime owner-operator company called River Dancers, based in Mt Shasta, riverdancers.com/trip/klamath-river-rafting/. I have been on the Klamath with them multiple times over the past decade, and introduced many friends to the river that way. I'm a hugely satisfied customer - cannot recommend them more highly. The owners and their guides (many have been with the company for years) are super people, deeply experienced and take great care of their guests. In fact I'm trying to pull together another trip with them this summer myself.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
5 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family white water rafting adventure Summer 2014

Hey, thanks a bunch for the suggestion! Appreciate your time...Kim

3. Re: Family white water rafting adventure Summer 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 06:15