We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medford: Things to Do

TN
5 posts
Save Topic
Medford: Things to Do

Hello,

I will be in Medford for a 2-3 day period due to work and will possibly have a half to 3/4 a day to myself. I was wondering about things to do in this brief window I may get.

I have read about the Table Tops hikes, Crater Lake, etc. I would like something scenic as I love the outdoors. Any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Medford
Medford
Oregon
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medford: Things to Do

When are you traveling and will you have a car?

Depending on the time of year - and the state of the federal gov't - Crater Lake might be either cold & snowy or closed. Right now it's closed due to the federal shutdown since it's a national park.

Jacksonville is a nice little town near Medford, and there's good hiking in the surrounding area. Here's a good description: oregonhiking.com/oregon-adventures/100-hikes…

You could also go to Ashland and hike from downtown through Lithia Park and continue up into the watershed area. More info & maps here: http://www.ashland.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=14083

Again, what is accessible and safe depends on time of year and weather.

Mentioned in this post
Medford
Medford
Oregon
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Lithia Park
Lithia Park
1,380 Reviews
Ashland, OR
TN
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Medford: Things to Do

I will be in the area in early november with a car

Level Contributor
37,774 posts
959 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medford: Things to Do

Hello and welcome! Ashland has a very quaint downtown area with some cool shops and restaurants. Beasey's on the Creek would be a nice place for a meal with a pretty view of the creek. Lithia Park will be beautiful this time of year with all of the Fall foilage. :)

Mentioned in this post
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
Lithia Park
Lithia Park
1,380 Reviews
Ashland, OR
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,801 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medford: Things to Do

Even if CL is snowbound / closed, you could take a drive up into the mountains. There are a number of lakes - Howard Prairie, Fish Lake, Lake of the Woods. Hwy 66 (no, not the famous Rte 66) is the old old wagon road over the mountains and is a pleasant drive.

Don't depend upon cell phone GPS if you do that - AAA paper maps are very good and more accurate. Cell phone service is spotty in rural areas.

Jacksonville is a good idea and you could make a loop around Ruch and Applegate - there is even a tiny little ghost town near there :-) This area is much lower in elevation so if there is snow in the area, it should be snow-free.

If you're into wine there are a number of local wineries.

TN
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Medford: Things to Do

Assuming CL is still closed, what are some more scenic things to see say withing an hour of Medford or so?

Any restaurant, breweries, etc in the area that are no listed on this site that I should check out? First and foremost, I am into short hikes, scenery, etc. Any info on any of this would be great.

Is there anything for a tourist to do this time of year on the Rogue? I just can't go on any overnight camping trip or rafting trip.

Mentioned in this post
Medford
Medford
Oregon
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,801 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medford: Things to Do

My post #4 describes a couple of scenic drives in the area, and post #1 also gives you some ideas. There are a half dozen or maybe more brew pubs in Medford and Ashland and a British pub in Ashland.

As far as I know, there are no jet boats or rafting on the Rogue except May through September. Too cold in November!

There may be an event going on at Central Point... www.co.jackson.or.us/SectionIndex.asp…

Mentioned in this post
Medford
Medford
Oregon
Ashland
Ashland
Oregon
TN
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Medford: Things to Do

I will be in the area for three days with 36-48 hours of time to myself. I believe I will hike on of the table rocks in Medford since it is close.

I would like to drive to the coast, but I would also like to go to Crater Lake since it is reopened. Should I go to a place like Brooking on the coast or Crater Lake?

I am excited about the trip and not sure what all to try to do/see.

Mentioned in this post
Medford
Medford
Oregon
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,801 posts
1,099 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medford: Things to Do

Two quite different areas. Crater Lake may have snow by then - most Novembers it gets several feet. If the weather is poor at Crater Lake it's not nearly as impressive as the photos you've seen! Brookings may be rainy.

If you opt for the coast you could drive to Crescent City to see the redwoods.

Here is a webcam page for Crater Lake you can check before you drive up the mountain. Scroll down for real-time photos:

http://www.craterlakelodges.com/webcam/

Mentioned in this post
Brookings
Brookings
Oregon Coast, OR
Crescent City
Crescent City
California
9. Re: Medford: Things to Do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 04:15
Get answers to your questions about Medford