We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Milwaukie, Oregon next week 8/13

T Or C
2 posts
Save Topic
Visiting Milwaukie, Oregon next week 8/13

Hi, I'm a 59 year old female who will be in the Portland area for about 8 days mid August, flying in from Southern NM and will be staying at the Milwaulkie Inn on Mcloughlin Blvd. I'm hoping to just rely on bus/train to get to downtown Oregon and where ever else I visit. It looks like a nice little community by the river, yet easily accessible to Portland. I do a lot of walking, so do plan to walk by the river. It looks like a Safeway is close by. How far is downtown Milwaulkie from where I'm staying? Where else should I visit near in the Milwaulkie area? I'm doing the obvious tourist things in Portland, museums, etc. I sort of assuming this is a walkable area around where I'm staying, although it looks like Mcloughlin is a busy boulevard. I like thrift stores, bookstores. Good but not fancy restaurants? Any information about Milwaukie would be appreciated. Thanks.

3 replies to this topic
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,012 posts
1,068 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Milwaukie, Oregon next week 8/13

Hi and welcome to the forums. I don't know why your post has not yet received an answer. We visit Oregon City fairly often but usually don't go to Milwaukie. McGloughlin Blvd is a very busy road, yes.

The MAX train is efficient and inexpensive way to get to downtown Portland.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Milwaukie, Oregon next week 8/13

Hi There- I grew up in Milwaukie and I know exactly where the Milwaukie inn is- unfortunetly it is not in a very walkable area along McLoughlin, but does have good transit nearby. You can take the tri-met bus #33 or express #99(only runs during rush hour) into Portland. Downtown Milwaukie itself is pretty cute and often overlooked by tourists. It does have a few nice shops and restaurants(definetly good but not fancy). The candy/chocolate store(Enchante) is about 5stars above the other shops. It wont take more than a few hours to visit them all. There is a nice Sunday Farmers Market. There is a nice path along the river to the south from the riverfront, then goes through a small neighborhood and then goes to Elk Rock Island- which is accessable during the summer low water.

If you like historic things and thrift shops, I might recommend taking the #33bus south to Oregon City, there are a few antique shops there and is also a nice river town to explore. The Sellwood neighborhood, just north of Milwaukie has great thrift/antique stores- this is accessable by bus(I think the 17- check tri-met.org just to be sure). You can catch this bus at the Milwaukie bus transfer station.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 05:37
T Or C
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Milwaukie, Oregon next week 8/13

Thanks - this has been very helpful.

Reply to: Visiting Milwaukie, Oregon next week 8/13
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Milwaukie