We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newport or Salem/Eugene?

phoenix, az
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Newport or Salem/Eugene?

We are planning a trip from May 28-June 1 for my sisters whitecoat ceremony which is in Hillsboro. We are planning on staying Friday/Saturday night there but wanted to explore the area around Portland for the 2days prior. We are torn between a coastal city (newport) or Salem (scope it out to possibly move there) and wondering if anyone has any recommendations? We went to Astoria and Portland last year, and LOVED it. Is Newport similar to Astoria? We are also open to other suggestions of areas to visit. It will be my husband and I and our 3 year old. Thank you in advance.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newport or Salem/Eugene?

no question in my mind that Newport wins hands down for vacation. It is similar to Astoria, as it is a working fishing town, but a bit different vibe. You could probably get the vibe of salem by spending a half day there. Salem is very much dependent on being the hub of state government- it is much less 'happening' than Portland. it a pretty low key town for being the hub of the state... you could drive through on your way to Newport....

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newport or Salem/Eugene?

Newport is a beach town, Astoria is not and Chinookgrl is right you could stop by Salem on way to Newport via 22 then 101. An hour in Salem could get a good view of Capitol grounds, which are nice.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,428 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newport or Salem/Eugene?

I'm offering my 2 cents worth (or less) simply because you had Eugene in your heading. Eugene is a university town of about 170,000 joined at the hip to Springfield (about 70,000) with the amenities of a major city (airport, regional medical center, performance center, lots of cultural and major sports activities, etc.) without the size of a major city. It has a somewhat hippy like personality with strong ecological and somewhat leftist political leanings (but adjoins more conservative, rural environments). An hour's drive from either the coast or the Cascades. Two rivers: the Willamette which runs right through downtown, and the McKenzie). Lots of hiking opportunities.

We don't try to compete for the tourists like the coast or Columbia Gorge do, but when it comes to living here we have it all.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,028 posts
1,071 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newport or Salem/Eugene?

Newport has miles and miles of beach and it also has the bay with a fairly sizable fishing fleet. Population is about the same, but the two towns are laid out differently. Newport has two lighthouses, the Marine Science Center, the award winning aquarium, a couple of museums, State Parks and more. It has some big box shopping, but not as much as Warrenton just south of Astoria. No Costco in Newport :-( It tends to lean politically to the left of Astoria.

Mish44, with only a couple of extra days, I don't think you have time to explore other areas without spending hours in the car.

5. Re: Newport or Salem/Eugene?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2015, 07:15