We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with trip planning

tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
247 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Help with trip planning

My 10 year old son and I are planning a mom/son trip the beginning of June. We are flying into Seattle and will ultimately be departing Portland 8 days later for a total of 7 nights between Seattle, Portland and the coast (Newport)

I am trying to decide how long to stay in each location and I have roughly 2 days in Seattle, 2 days in Portland, 2 days in Newport and then on the last night maybe stay at a hotel near PDX but still have part of the evening to do any last minute things in Portland. Our flight leaves at 10:30 ish in the morning so not terribly early.

What I am hoping for help on right now is the part of the trip in Newport. My son has long been fascinated with lighthouses so we are going to come in from Portland and see the Yaquina lighthouses and stay nearby. I have so far on the to do list:

Yaquina Head Lighthouse and Yaquina Bay Lighthouse

Cape Perpetua scenic area

Marine Discovery Boat Tours

Nye Beach

I am thinking on the Monday driving out to stop in Salem and see the state capital which is another thing my son is interested in. Any other recommendations in Salem?

Any of these items we should skip? Is there anything really great we are missing? I am torn on the trip because we rarely travel to areas where we could have a hotel within walking distance of a beach so I think we should take advantage of it. Also I have the following hotels in my radar as possible choices:

Moolack Shores Motel

Agate Beach Motel

Looking Glass Inn

Inn at Nye Beach

I would like to keep it under $150 a night but this is such a treat to stay so close to the beach if one of these is a much better location, I would pay the extra for it.

I know this seems open ended but any input would be appreciated. I think this will be the trip that both he and I will remember for the rest of our lives.

Thanks in advance!

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,435 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with trip planning

for cheaper stays on the coast...look at trying to stay not on Friday and Saturday nights. Sunday-Thursday nights you can get cheaper rates.

What days are you arriving and departing?

You do realize Olympia is the capital of Washington and on the way from Seattle to Portland?

a few things youa re missing that you should see---when in Portland do a drive into Columbia Gorge.

What I would suggest you do....from Seattle drive to Astoria then drive down the coast to Newport from there then come back to Portland from Newport through Salem.

the other route option is to drive from seattle to Portland to salem to Newport then up the coast to Cannon Beach for sunset then drive to Portland after sunset.

day 1 fly into seattle

day 2 Seattle...in the evening drive down to Olympia and stay there for the night.

day 3 AM Olympia, PM visit St Helens or Columbia Gorge.

day4 Portland

day 5 Portland to Salem to Newport

day 6 Newport

day 7 newport up coast to cannon beach then drive to PDX airport hotel

day 8 AM flight home

alternate....

day 3 Olympia AM, ST Helens afternoon..drive to Cannon beach/sSeaside for sunset.

day 4 drive down to Newport

day 5 Newport for entire day then drive inland (you could stay Newport for a 2nd night)

day 6 Salem AM, Portland PM

day 7 Portland/Columbia Gorge

day 8 AM flight home

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with trip planning

10 year old boy should enjoy Mark Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport. some nice hands on things with good volunteers. And Heceta Head lighthouse a few miles south of Yachats is our most photographed one

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,227 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with trip planning

Motel selection:

Moolack Shores - Located north of town, not walkable to anything. Interesting rooms, it sits above the beach & ocean but also right on Hwy 101.

Agate Beach Motel - Gosh they have a pretty website but notice they do not show pictures of the motel itself! It's up on a high bluff, surrounded by businesses and newer residences. Right near 101. I don't consider it ocean front since it is quite a walk from the ocean.

Inn at Nye Beach - Good location in the Nye Beach area with a 'neighbourhood' feel. Easy walk to several restaurants. Bonus for your son is that you can see Yaquina Head lighthouse from here :-)

Looking Glass - Isn't that in Lincoln City?

You might also look at the Whaler:

http://www.whalernewport.com/

--

Yes, do go to Heceta Head lighthouse. It's only about 12 miles or so south of Cape Perpetua.

Oregon
Level Contributor
423 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with trip planning

Our "go to" motel in Newport is the Hallmark Inn -- it's not fancy but it's comfy and clean; has a nice ocean view and beach access; and an indoor pool which your son may enjoy.

The old bayfront in Newport might be fun for a 10 year old -- it's a combo of a working fishing area [complete with boats, docks, fisherman tromping around in boots] and touristy stuff [Ripley's Believe it or not, taffy shops, barking sea lions on the docks].

tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
247 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with trip planning

Wow thank you everyone!

Dan P. - we are not going to have a car in Seattle as we want to take the train from Seattle to Portland. I am thinking about doing the Columbia Gorge as well.

Phirl - great idea about the marine science center.

Thanks for the tips on the hotels, this is very good information.

6. Re: Help with trip planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Newport