We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Something new in Newport

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Something new in Newport

Every winter I go to Newport for a quilting retreat over the MLK holiday weekend - at the Shilo near Nye Beach. Generally I go to Green Gables for coffee in the morning and drive over to Shark's for a nice dinner. Any suggestions for other great (and cheap) eat's and coffee near the Shilo? (The hotel cafe is not great...)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
114 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Something new in Newport

A great place that really only the locals know about is called ARR Place, and it is in Nye Beach right behind the Performing Arts Center. They are only open Wed-Sat, and then only for lunch and dinner, but they do serve breakfast items. This restaurant is one of our favorites and we think the food rivals many of the fine restaurants we have here in Portland.

Las Vegas...
Level Contributor
665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Something new in Newport

One of our favorites in Newport is Canyon Way. Not only do they have a great little restaurant they also have a deli and an interesting book store with books and unique gifts.

Newport, OR
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Something new in Newport

I love the Nye beach area, try Cafe Stephanie's, La Maison or the Panini Bakery for breakfast . for dinner I always recommend Canyon way, Quimby's, Aprils, Georgie's Beachside Grill or Champagne Patio. If your interested in great lunch spots, try Saffron Salmon, Local Ocean Seafoods..... I makin' myself hungry!

Level Contributor
35,742 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Something new in Newport

We were in Newport last summer, visiting the aquarium and loved the Nye Beach area, also. If you go to April's or Canyon Way, please report back, these places on our list of places to try in this area for a meal. We had a great meal at the Blackfish Cafe in Lincoln City if you're ever over that way. Have a great time at the coast! :)

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,631 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Something new in Newport

Just following up with a post-trip report! :)

A few words about the Shilo Inn at Nye Beach. If you are thinking about staying there be aware that the mattresses are extremely hard. The elevator is *extremely* slow (we frequently took the stairs instead). Other than that the staff was friendly and the hotel was quite well maintained. The location is wonderful, very close to the Performing Arts Center & Nye Beach. I think every room has an ocean view.

We walked to "The Panini Bakery" both mornings for coffee and light breakfast. (Green Gables was closed for vacation.) It is obviously a locals' favorite. People and dogs crowded the sidewalk out front. It is tiny with only 3 small tables and a counter. On Sunday it was warm enough to sit outside. The coffee is excellent, it is from a roaster in Eugene. Very dark and smooth, just a little smokey. I was drinking Americano's and my mother was drinking regular drip coffee. We "rescued" two fellow quilters who were on their way to Starbucks. They were amazed that they were able to get much better coffee for so little $$$. I had a ham & swiss croissant one morning and it was light and flavorful. Very savory. The other items I tasted (from others' plates) were an apricot danish (YUM) and coconut muffin (very moist and light). HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

For Friday night dinner we decided to forgo our traditional trip to Shark's as we didn't want to drive to the Bayfront. (I was DONE being in the car after 6 hours on the road.) We walked to Georgies, at the Hallmark Resort just South of the Shilo. It was very crowded. We got the last table, a tiny one in the far corner of the restaurant. It was already dark outside so we missed the ocean view. My mom ordered pecan crusted tilapia and I ordered crab cakes. Both came with soup or salad and choice of starch. When my salad arrived it had NO tomatoes on it. HUH? My mom offered me some of hers. The entrees were good. The tilapia was sweet and tasty. but they went a bit overboard with the nuts, in my opinion. The crab cakes were light and not greasy. The salsa was quite spicy and added a nice kick. We both had rice for the starch and it was very good - a wild rice mixture with lots of flavor and texture. Overall a good step above run of the mill seafood restaurants. Combined with the view this is one of the nicer places where I have eaten on the coast. It isn't really inventive, just good food. RECOMMENDED

Saturday night was the retreat dinner, catered by the Shilo. They have a new chef and I must say this meal was MUCH better than those offered in the past. If it wasn't adjacent to their VERY SMOKY bar I would be tempted to try their restaurant again.

We opted not to try Canyon Way. Despite the recommendation, others in Newport said the cafe has gone downhill and the food & service have been poor recently. We snacked our way through the day on Saturday and didn't have a "real" lunch.

On the drive home we stopped at the outlet mall in Newport for some retail therapy. ;) We had lunch at Momiji which was very good. I had a bento lunch with teriyaki chicken and tempura vegies. Nice variety of vegies (carrot, yam, broccoli, etc) that were cooked well - not gummy or greasy. The chicken was really tender and tasty. My mom had two items from the a la carte menu: diced almond chicken and pork fried rice. The sauce on the chicken was light and very good. She wouldn't share her PFR so it must have been good! RECOMMENDED

I finished two quilts, so it was a very productive weekend!

Level Contributor
35,742 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Something new in Newport

Sounds like a great time, thanks for reporting back with your experiences on your travels! :)

Newport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Something new in Newport

Oh, I'm so sorry you didn't try Canyon Way . . . I attended the Lincoln County Food Share Benefit "Chefs Against Hunger" and the Canyon Way crab cakes were the hit of the evening . . . took my family there when everyone was in town over the holidays and we had universally great food, good wine, and fine service. Save room for dessert!

midvalley OR
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Something new in Newport

Yeah, I've had breakfast at ARR place and it was great. Too bad they aren't open for breakfast anymore. Ive been trying to get back there for years but every time I'm in town and drive by, they're closed!

newport, Oregon
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Something new in Newport

a good place to eat for breakfast would be panini's, it is a bakery so dont expect any eggs.. ARR' Place is good to, however they're open different hours (3-9:30ish mon-fri) but they've just started having live music on thursday wish adds very nicely to the atmosphere. Saffron Salmons is good for lunch/Dinner, but i would reccomend you make a reservation towards the end of their serving hours (if thats when you plan on going). Local oceans is Great! it can get a little busy, so i would recomend a reservation. if you like sushi, Sada's Sushi bar is also on the bayfront, located between Ripleys Believe it or Not and the Wax Works, its right across the street from the Undersea Gardens. Sada's is open for lunch and dinner as well, its THE best sushi ive found anywhere! As for other dinner's in newport they're mediocare to average (in my opinion)

10. Re: Something new in Newport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 18:19